CHAPTER FOUR

chapter 4: leave no trace behind

THE PREVIOUS NIGHT'S ENDEAVOURS WAS enough to keep Amara awake the remainder of the night, which was evident by the bags under her eyes that had formed by morning. It didnt help either when the news that no evidence or trace had been left of the scene.

It confused all three witnesses as to how somebody could so easily cover up the crime scene in the time it took for them to get the sheriff and other authorities on sight. Whilst Wednesday and Kai had went straight to Principal Weems to be questioned, the Bennett girl sat outside in await to her turn.

It was obvious neither Weems nor Sheriff Galpin believed the twins, but maybe with the help of Amara their story may be more believable.

The door burst open, startling the girl as Weems appeared and gave the girl a small smile. "You can come in now."

The girl then nodded, standing up and following her into the office, where the twins and the Sheriff awaited. Nerves engulfed her as she took a seat next to Wednesday. It seemed that as soon as they had stated "Amara was there too" she was immediately called in to give her intel.

"Hi Amara," the Sheriff awkwardly greeted, causing her to give him a tight-lipped smile. "You obviously know why you're here. So if you wouldn't mind telling us what you did last night so we can all forget this."

The girl just nodded, not turning to look at anyone else as she began her story. "Okay, uh. Well, before the fireworks went off I bumped into Kai and we talked for a bit before he left. Then, around the car park I seen Wednesday and Kai run off to the woods and they seemed a bit panicked, so I followed them. When I got there, Rowan attacked them so I stopped him, and then this... monster— creature thing came and— and it killed him..."

He eyes remained to the ground as she spoke, clearly not wanting to relive the memory. They all watched as she then sat back, turning to the Sheriff with a small shrug. "Then we found Bianca and she called for help. That's it."

The Sheriff nodded, his eyes glancing between the twins. He couldn't deny the obvious shock or sadness the girl expressed as she spoke, but without any physical proof of murder, there was nothing else he could do.

"And it wasn't a bear or another animal?" He asked, causing the young girl to pause.

Her mind took her back to when the monster charged at her. Its large eyes darkening as it near it's prey as its large claws sprung at her. Its abnormal sized body hunched over Rowan's corpse as it roared.

"No, that... thing is no normal animal."

And with that, Weems stood up from her seat at her desk. "Well, I believe that you three are done now."

"Actually I'd like to speak with Sheriff Galpin alone," Wednesday stated, also standing up.

Everyone turned to the girl in confusion before glancing at the Principal, awaiting her answer. "I'm not sure I can allow that," Weems stated, clearly at unease.

"I'm sure I can take her down to the station and get a formal statement," the Sheriff stated, raising a brow at her. When Weems didn't answer he smiled. "Yeah, let's go."

"Fine," the tall woman gave in, walking over to him. "You have five minutes and everything is off the record. Play nice... or I will call the mayor."

She then turned the the other teens in the room, and gestured for them to leave with her. They reluctantly left, closing the door behind them as the woman turned to the two.

"You may wait here for Miss Addams if you'd like, I have something to attend to," she gave them a smile before taking off down the corridor at an abnormally fast pace.