CHAPTER SIXTEEN

chapter sixteen: consuming thoughts

MAYOR WALKER WAS MURDERED THE previous night. Amara didn't know him well, but knew his son. He was Tyler's friend and also the perpetrator behind the paint attack at the Rave'N dance. A lot had happened since Amara and Kai had last spoken in his dorm room.

Wednesday had informed Sheriff Galpin of the secret hideout in the Gates Mansion, only for him to arrive to find all evidence wiped. This ultimately led to the girl getting in trouble for leaving the school on lockdown, and almost resulted in her and her brother's suspension.

How the girl managed to avoid that? Amara wasn't sure, but she did know she was now in Weems' bad books for her involvement with the twins.

Malachi felt like he was going to explode.

He had not spoken to the Bennett witch since her outburst in his dorm room, since he sat there like an idiot and didn't answer her. Now she thought the feelings weren't mutual. It was all so confusing to him.

He was content in his life before her. He was sadistic and tactical, he didn't have anyone to bother him — and he liked it that way. But ever since Amara Bennett appeared, the boy found a want for things he wasn't used to having, things he didn't believe he deserved.

So now he was at a crossroad. Choose to stick with the lifestyle he's known his whole life, or risk everything he's ever known to chase a feeling that may fade. Being admitted into the recovery room (after the nurse had taken a look at his wounds) for the past two days has only caused him to be stuck in his head.

He wanted a distraction. No, he needed one. Anything that would take his mind off of her.

And a distraction is exactly what he got when a small zap of electricity awoke the boy from his slumber. He jumped at the unfamiliar feeling, being pulled from his dreams as he sat up and allowed his eyes to adjust to the perpetrator.

"Uncle Fester?" He felt a grin slowly appearing on his face at the sight of his father's brother. The man gave his nephew a wave, the bolts flickering between his finger tips as his eyes glinted mischievously.

"Malachi!" He greeted, stepping closer to the boy's hospital bed with a smile. "What happened to you? Pick another fight with a werewolf?"

"Monster attack, actually," the Addams boy casually shrugged, his face still scrunched in confusion. "What are you doing here?"

"Got a job down in Boston, told your father I'd check up on you and your sister," Fester stated, taking off his hat and sitting beside the young boy, grinning. "He told me whats been going on... what a fun semester!"

Kai couldn't help the small smile that appeared on his face. "Father can never seem to keep his mouth shut, can he?"

"Certainly not. When we were kids I tried to sew his lips together once just to shut him up for a few days... good times!" He began to chuckle to himself, before straightening up once more. "Need a place to lay low for a while, so Wednesday let me borrow her bee sanctuary. I gotta meet up with her to find Nathaniel Faulkner's diary."

"Nathaniel Faulkner's diary?" The boy repeated in confusion, puzzled as to what the man was on about.

Fester waved him off nonchalantly. "You gotta catch up, kid. I'll fill you in on the way."