CHAPTER FOURTEEN

chapter fourteen: that night

AMARA BENNETT WAS SCARED. SHE never likes to admit it, but right now she felt fear as she stormed to the principal's office. Whomever had lit that message had known the truth about her parents... which either meant some asshole kid read her private file and decided to play the cruelest prank...

Or the person who had brutally burned her parents alive was back.

She needed to see Weems right this instant. If that person was still out there, maybe they were coming to finish the job, and Amara knew she wouldn't be able to defend herself — not whilst the charm bracelet was sealed to her wrist.

By the time the woman had reached her office, she had burst through the door and caught sight of Wednesday and the Principal leaning over the balcony outside, their eyes never leaving the flames.

Weems didn't seem that surprised to see the girl, though her fear in her eyes was nevertheless. The two women walked back into the office, meeting Amara's terrified gaze.

"What the hell?" Amara stated, her breaths uneven as she turned to her Principal.

"Amara I know what this looks like but..." The woman trailed off, avoiding Wednesday's gaze as she tried to think of a solution. "I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding."

"Misunderstanding?" Amara's tone was cold, her eyes beginning to glow a deep green as she tilting her head at the Principal.

"Wednesday I think you should leave," the tall woman spoke, her eyes never leaving the witch.

"What was that down there—"

"Go," Weems' voice was more demanding, a seething anger routed within it as she watched the Addams girl reluctantly leave the Office.

Once the door was closed behind her, Amara continued. "Who had access to my file? Who—who could've known about that?"

The woman let out a deep sigh. "Me. That's it."

"Just you?"

"Your file is extremely confidential, Amara, your fathers ensured it would stay that way. The only copies are on my computer on in that file cabinet."

The woman promptly made her way over to the cabinet, pulling out a key and unlocking it. Amara could see a few selection of files neatly sorted into alphabetical order and near the top was hers.

A - AMARA BENNETT WHITMORE

Grasping the file tightly in her hands, Weems proceeded to flick through it, searching for anything that may be missing or out of place. Nothing.

"Everything's here." Amara felt her stomach drop at the statement, her fear ever so present in her expression as she hopelessly looked up at the woman.

"Does that mean—"

"We cannot jump to conclusions," Weems was quick to stop the young girl, watching her eyes water with tears.

"How else was someone know?!" The witch snapped, throwing her hands up in frustration as she tried to breath. "They're gonna kill me."

"I will not allow that to happen," the Principal's comforting tone was believable. Amara knew the woman would do everything in her power to protect her, but it didn't ease the fear at all.

"As long as you are in Nevermore, you will be safe."

"How can you guarantee that when some just lit the grounds on fire?" Amara was holding back the tears. "You need to teach me."