CHAPTER NINE

chapter nine: date to the dance

NEWS AROUND TOWN QUICKLY SPREAD about the newest victim of Jericho's 'animal attacks', to which neither twin had believed. In fact, they ever had the oh-so clever idea of sneaking into the town's morgue to find out what had really happened for themselves.

Whilst Amara decided to stay back, stating that she had far too much to do for the dance on top of tutoring, the Addams siblings snuck off into the night and came back early in the morning with more evidence that usual. No one was more obsessed with the town's mystery than Wednesday, who had created a conspiracy board in her and Enid's down room, which the latter did not seem pleased with.

The entire population of Nevermore were eager about the upcoming Rave'N dance, completely unfazed by the murders surrounding the town they lived in. Amara, however, was sick of hearing about it as she sat in Miss Thornhill's classroom, trying to stay awake with her head resting in her hand.

"While most plants reward their pollinators with sweet nectar, many carnivorous variety it's turn to sexual trickery — or deception," the teacher explained, holding up the overgrown plant as she did so. "The orchid produces a pheromone that mimics a female insect... luring the males in...."

The woman's voice began to sound so far away as the witch felt her eyes slowly closing, so close to slipping into a trance of sleep. However, a hard elbow to her side caused the girl to jolt away, glaring over at Yoko who simply held an amused expression.

"If I have to sit through this, so do you," the vamp whispered, leaning down into the girl slightly with a smirk. By the time Amara became fully aware of what was going on, the class had began to cheer, causing her eyebrows to draw closer in confusion — Yoko decided to elaborate for her. "No homework cause of the Rave'N."

"Woo," Amara sarcastically cheered, unenthusiastically raising her hands in her fists.

Yoko just laughed, readjusted her glasses as she gave the curly haired girl a once over. "So, you got a date?"

"A few people have asked, but honestly I haven't had time," Amara began, sitting up slightly in an attempt to fight her fatigue. "On top of tutoring, the decorating committee and student council... it's kinda collapsing on me. What about you?"

"Yeah, actually... I'm going with Divina."

Amara clutched her heart dramatically. "I thought you were saving yourself for me."

Chuckling, the vampire girl nodded. "Got tired of waiting, Bennett. But, you're really not gonna go with anyone?"

"I'll go with someone," the girl began, glancing around the classroom. "I'm that busy I haven't even gotten a dress, never mind a date."

"Get a dress!" Yoko stated loudly, shaking the girl shoulders slightly. "You're insane, half the school would die to go out with you... all you have to do is say yes!"

"Okay, okay! I'll find a date," she gave in, smiling slightly as the bell rang. The girl immediately rushed out the classroom to find somewhere to take a nap, unbeknownst to the boy at the desk beside her who heard the whole thing.

"You should ask her," a voice from beside him stated, causing him to turn and roll his eyes at the sight of Enid Sinclair grinning up at him, clearly observing how he admired the witch.

"Please don't start this again," Kai drawled, rubbing his head in his hands in despair.

"Look, you helped me with Ajax — even though he stood me up — so the least I can do is repay the favour," the girl explained, a smile on her face as she did so.