CHAPTER FIFTEEN

chapter fifteen: just friends

WEDNESDAY ADDAMS COULD SENSE THE tension between her twin and the Bennett witch. The second she had asked them to help her on another monster hunt, she dared not mention the other would also be there. In fact, Wednesday had lied to everyone in the car from the beginning.

She told Enid she had wanted girl-time outside of the school, told Tyler Galpin that they would have dinner together, told her brother Malachi that she needed his wits for another stakeout and told Amara that a night outside the Nevermore craziness would benefit them both.

All four of them thought it would just be themselves and the Addams girl alone.

And now they were left with the awkward tension in the car, Amara in passenger seat beside Tyler the driver and Enid stuck in the back middle between both twins. Kai's cynical eyes darted between the two exes in the front, watching as the boy glanced at the witch every once in a while.

It was clear to Enid, Tyler and Wednesday that there was an attraction between the witch and the seer, one that the two couldn't even see clearly themselves. The blonde glanced over to her male friend beside her, raising a brow at his jealous glare, to which he sent back a warning look. She was obviously curious to know what had happened between the duo, but the boy was persistent in remaining secretive.

No matter, Enid figured she would just pry it out of him later on in the night.

When the group had arrived at the abandoned mansion that belonged to the Gates', Enid was the first to freak out. "Seriously, you wanna go in there? This place is creepy AF."

Wednesday smirked. "I know."

As the twin began to pick the lock to the gate, her companion's voiced their complaints, Tyler being the first. "Okay, this isn't what I signed on for."

"Same here," Amara sighed, crossing her arms to protect herself from the freezing cold. Kai had a moment of thought to offer her his jacket, but quickly pushed it aside.

The moment Tyler shrugged off his brown jacket, the Addams twin regretted his choice. "Here, you're gonna freeze." He handed it to the curly haired brunette, who graciously accepted it.

"Thanks, Ty," she sent him a small smile as a thanks, not thinking anything deep about the interaction as she put on the larger jacket that made it look oversized on her shorter figure. Kai felt himself growing warmer in anger, clenching his jaw.

Ty? He almost scoffed to himself, ignoring Enid's watchful eyes and turning back to his sister who didn't seem bothered.

"I didn't want to celebrate my birthday by going to dinner, or a surprise party," Wednesday began, finally hearing a click of the unlocking before turning back. "I want to do this. Kai wants to as well."

The boy shrugged as the three turned to him, knowing that he was the only one who had received a (kind of) true answer on what they were doing that night. He helped his sister open the creaking iron gates, allowing the four inside the grounds.

"If you want to go, you can... I'm going to go check out the garage."

And so with a reluctant pause, the three followed the Addams twins, not missing the way the gates slowly closed behind them. However, just as they had passed the first obstacle, the second came in the form of a locked door. Wednesday shook the door profusely, before Kai lightly pushed her aside to tell her it wasn't working.

"Let me try," the Galpin boy suggested. Kai raised his eyebrows at him, but instead of arguing, stepped aside to allow him. Part of him hoped it wouldn't budge, just for the sake of proving to himself that he was better than him. Something about Tyler was off putting to Malachi, besides his past with Amara.