ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 3

midnight rain

chapter 3 "JUMPING OFF THINGS IN THE OCEAN"

all text in italics is spoken in catalan/spanish

despite the three-day limit, olivia couldn't keep herself from the undying urge to email fc barcelona and ask about the job. it would be highly satanic and no doubt annoying if she had. her finger had almost contacted the enter button on her laptop, but it instead gracefully skipped over to the delete. now that she thought about it, her draft email was awfully cringe. but for now, she had to focus on the woman in front of her. though she would never admit it in front of the other clients, jonny was her favourite patient. "yea? and how's everything going?" olivia asked jonny as she lay in her bed, droopy eyes staring at the argentine. "oh you know. same panic different disco," jonny smiled while olivia tapped the insulin bag and smiled at the woman. "oh and, nicolás is here. with sofia," jonny's smile grew bigger as matías called in jonny's husband and 1-year-old daughter. the two nurses left the room and let the family be in privacy. "3 months and you're already in the ICU. big plans for you kid,"matías said as he playfully pushed her shoulder. "i'm only 2 years younger than you," replied the argentine as she rubbed her eyes, the fatigue raining over her body.

the two, along with sira, felt time pass slowly. they had managed to close their eyes for a few minutes between changing medicines and looking over the patients, but it didn't make the situation any better. sira got up from her seat, stretching widely. "i'm going to check on jonny," she said to her friends as she made her way to the room. jonny looked fine and peacefully sleeping. the spaniard walked over to the insulin stand and heart monitor. "oh my god," sira ran to the blue button and speaker situated on the wall.

*****

"I don't know how this could've happened. I swear, I put the right amount and it was all fine, jonny was all fine. I just can't-" 

"hey, hey. calmo. it's alright ms. martinez,"

"no, it's not! I've been here for so long and I know I never could've made such a-,"

"mistakes happen ms. martinez, it's okay to make mistakes."

"but not mistakes that cost someone's life!"

"si. which is why we must relieve you of your duty. i'm very sorry ms. martinez, but we can't afford mistakes like this,"

that was the end of sira martinez's career at the hospital. and she knew she wouldn't be working at any others after what had happened. "what happened? exactly," olivia asked as she gloomfully sat sira down and looked at matías. "it was an insulin overdose," a tear rolled down the spaniard's cheek as both her friends looked at each other, confused. though it had been only 3 months at the hospital and 3 weeks at the ICU, olivia knew enough to know that insulin overdoses were very unusual. it was both very rare and complicated, as there couldn't be any possible way for it to have overdosed unless the patient was separately given another bag of insulin, which olivia was sure she hadn't. "and i'm fired," sira looked down at her hands as matías and olivia enveloped her in a warm and tight hug, knocking the air out of her lungs. "calm down guys, i'm not dying. I myself don't think i'm fit for the job after this," she stood up as all three of them looked at olivia's phone, a ding sound erupting from it. the argentine looked up at her friends as they raised her eyebrows, and she pulled out her phone, checking the email tagged fc barcelona. "so I might have something to tell you,"

*****

"I got the job!" olivia shouted as she entered her shared apartment and was welcomed by a jumpy mikky. "i'm so proud of you hermosa, you have to hand in your resignation," said her best friend as she took the grocery bags out of olivia's hands. "I already did. and i told sira and matías. sira got fired after what happened anyway and matías is being a drama king," olivia placed the dishes in the right place after placing olive oil in the tall container. "harsh," the argentine nodded at mikky's response and then turned to her. "you'll come in to work first thing tomorrow, i'm sure nina will help you out. but i'll just hand you a few pro tips," mikky winked at her best friend. "don't make gavi mad, he has a short temper and a habit of lashing out. so now questions about his life and shit. and ferran is chill, frenkie is literally your therapist, trust me," olivia stared at her best friend. "what?" mikky asked when she looked at the argentine. olivia just shook her head and faced the kitchen platform to fill her glass. "spit it out," she said as olivia wiggled her eyebrows at mikky, much to her annoyance. "shut up! there's nothing between me and frenkie. i'm just his pr manager," mikky placed her glass down on the platform.

"I didn't say frenkie though" were the last words between the two as olivia's face came in contact with a pillow.

this was a rushed and not proof-read chapter so please excuse any typos or errors, ilysm <3