ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17

midnight rain

chapter 17 "AND THE LIFE I GAVE AWAY PT.1"

all text in italics is spoken in catalan/spanish

OLIVIA had thought she would feel good after Mikky's revelation. She hadn't wanted to tell them, but the thought of her friend having a secret lover had hovered over her mind throughout the days, and to have it finally exposed was supposed to be relieving. Instead, she found herself constantly thinking of ways to convince Mikky not to date him. She held a distant gaze in her eyes as she watched the blonde across the room, who held her laptop in hand while communicating with Frenkie de Jong. The chemistry between the two was palpable, almost as palpable as the tension between Charlotte and Pablo. Olivia hadn't wanted to mention it in front of her, but it made literally no sense that Matías and Mikky were seeing each other. They had only met a few times at their shared apartment when Sira hung around, that only after extremely taxing shifts. Now that both her and Sira had left the hospital, there was no possible connection the Dutch and Spaniard could have had.

THIS ALL, however, Olivia kept to herself. She didn't want any more misunderstandings between the two and as much as she would've loved for Frenkie and Mikky to get together, she was sure that it was more important to focus on her love life first. It seemed that even in the haven of the physio room, there was romance all around. The slow-motion double vision in rose blush between Frenkie and Mikky and the quick glances between Lamar and Aymeric Laporte was enough to remind her of the burdening argument she had started with Pedri. She hadn't realized that as her thoughts drifted more towards the Canarian, her fingers had formed an iron fist, unintentionally kneading into Ronald Araujo's calf, surely worsening his condition.

Ronald's arm shot out to rub his calf. "My enchiladas Via, are you trying to mold me into dough?" He winced as Olivia started to softly massage the area, guilt treading upon her.

"Sorry Ronnie." She continued her practice, her eyes fixated at the door she knew would swing open in a few moments. And much to her surprise (note the sarcasm), it did: in came Pedro Pedri in all his glory, his shorts pushed up to a height so unholy, Olivia felt almost sinful for staring. She wasn't sure why she was suddenly so attracted to him when he was around. When he wasn't, all she would do was deny any feelings she might have for him yet when she was in his presence, her heart thudded so loud, she was sure he could hear it as well. Her eyes trailed him as he interacted with his fellow teammates, making his way towards her area. And in an attempt to repulse from the situation, her fingers found their way to Ronnie's calf, pinching ever so slightly on his nerve, hoping it would give him a shock enough to make a scene.

"Joder!" His eyes widened, staring up at the ceiling as a wave of what she hoped was pain overwhelmed him. Olivia rubbed slightly on the spot, before squirting an unnecessary amount of gel onto her fingers.

"I'LL NEED to use some more time before I let you go, Ronnie," she said. "It seems like this will take time to heal." Olivia stared straight at Ronald as he nodded his head, seemingly getting the hint from her obnoxious stare. She really knew how to use her big eyes. And even as she felt Pedri's gaze set on her, she did not look up. She wasn't sure she would be able to say no if he asked her something, and that would lead to something she was surely not ready for. She heard the squeaks of his Nike shoes quieten as he distanced himself from the pair and to another physio, and a feel of guilt seeped into her. Who was she to disrupt the workplace due to personal issues? Everyone else coped fine at the HQ, no matter any personal vendetta they might have against someone else. So why her? Why were they both so incapable of communicating with each other, when something they both loved to do was talk? Olivia didn't know, and she hoped Pedri didn't either.

*****

MIKKY FELT the hair on her arms rising underneath her blazer as she stood right under the air conditioning vent. She peered through the small, glass window on the door, watching as Frenkie laughed at something with Alejandro Balde. She could see her reflection in the glass, a mirror of what she showed everyone, a brave face plastered on. No one knew the anxiety that clouded her mind or controlled her actions; the irrational decisions made in her hands. She jumped at the creak of the door to her side opening. She needed to be more aware of her surroundings. She glanced up at the ceiling, her brows snapping together as she shut her eyes. In. Out. In. Out. Mikky never believed using the technique worked, but desperate times called for desperate measures, and fittingly enough, it seemed to calm down her erratic breathing. 

SHE WINCED, adjusting to the bright light shining above her while opening her eyes, before taking a deep breath in and pressing on the door handle. She let the door close by its force behind her, and walked up to Frenkie, silently greeting the rest of the players as she stood by the bed, his physio glancing down at her in a way she felt as if it was almost apologetic. Whatever, she brushed it off. She was probably just imagining things. Suddenly, standing behind him patiently was such a task that she was sure she wouldn't last: her feet were aching and the thin blazer she was wearing had enclosed her in such heat, she felt beads of sweat trickling down her back. A sharp twinge in her lower back was enough to top it off; she would surely double-over and throw up the contents of her early breakfast.

MIKKY had never felt this way before. Her eyes bore daggers into the back of Frenkie's head, who was either unbothered or unaware of her presence. She started scrutinizing every visible freckle on his neck, as if all her hate for him had abruptly tipped over the cauldron. One thing Mikky prided herself on was the control she had over her emotions, the ability to mask her true feelings with a charming smile and gentle eyes. Never once had she thought the time would come when her mask was non-existent and her once alluring grin would turn into a vengeful scowl. Her eyelids drooped as she watched him double-over in laughter, a dazzling beam spread across his face as he turned to face her. She truly hoped she didn't look like a zombie.

"Kiki! What's up?" He flashed his unbelievably white teeth in a soaring grin again. He had only a few inches on her, and Mikky was quite tall. Still, she felt like a baby looking up at an adult, unknowingly staring at something much bigger than her.

"NOTHING MUCH, just needed to confirm your schedule. We need to fly you out for Fashion Week as well, its your turn to make an appearance." She watched as the Dutch furrowed his eyebrows before leaning in to look at the laptop in her hand.

"Really? I thought it was Sergio's." Mikky swore she would chop his head off then and there. He was so close that she could feel his cool skin— a large contrast to the sweat that had formed a layer on her skin— through her blazer. A strand of his dirty blond hair tickled her forehead as he bent down to look at the calendar she had open on her laptop. All of a sudden, something snapped within her and she slammed her laptop shut, Frenkie jumping backwards at the sudden action. She shook her hair, tucking a few strands of baby hair in, and turned towards Frenkie, putting on the most stunning grin she could fathom, before spinning abruptly and practically sprinting her way out of the room. To her, it was the most she could do without vomiting all over his concerningly white Nike shoes. But to him, it was just a confirmation of what she felt: denial.

hey guys! I'm finally back with a chapter that I hope is okay (this is a proof-read chapter but I'm way too dead right now to process what is m and what is a double n). please tell me what you'd like to see more of and any interactions you want to view. don't forget to vote and comment because they are literally what keeps me from discontinuing this book. I would love your support, because I really need it. anyways, I hope you're enjoying, updates are out every thursday 6:30pm (gmt+4) because I finally got time to write a set of fresh chapters. love you all!