ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6

midnight rain

chapter 6 "I BROKE HIS HEART CAUSE HE WAS NICE"

all text in italics is spoken in catalan/ spanish

"HERE you go," olivia handed over two rectangles of paper to charlotte. they were painted red and yellow which made the spaniard-monegasque gasp. "no way via," she put her hand over her mouth. charlotte had always wanted to attend an fc barcelona match, but it was her dream to watch the spanish national team. despite growing up in the monacan district of france, charlotte had given everything up to play at la masia, barca's very own school for aspiring and talented young footballers. of course, la masia was where olivia and charlotte had met. it was the one day when via had gone to support pablo at his junior match. she had just run into charlotte sine—the girl everyone was talking about—the girl who had challenged and led the girls' team to a victory against the boys' junior practice match. not only had she done it against the likes of players like anssumane fati, pedri gonzalez and pablo gavi, but in front of the legendary xavi. the two had immediately bonded over their extreme but joking hatred for pablo gavira.

UNFORTUNATELY, it was a hamstring injury that had put an end to the spaniard-monegasque's almost successful career. that too, when her call-up email for the first team was about to be requested. charlotte had lost a piece of herself the day she was carried out on the stretcher and she knew that she would never be able to find the same charlotte again. it didn't only cut short her career but ended her dream of playing for spain. in order to feel some sort of happiness in her life, the beauty had decided to pursue architecture. it did drive her heart a bit like football, but she knew that nothing would ever replace that vacant spot left for spain. it was olivia's desire to bring her friend out of the lonely pit that she had cultivated herself in— which was why she felt her heart warm when charlotte squeezed her a bit too tight, the wet tears dropping onto her t-shirt. "thank you so much via, I love you," she broke out between sobs as she let go. "you needed this. plus, there's an extra ticket in case you want to bring someone with you. just no guys, you're sitting in the box and pablo is yours,"

"shut up!"

*****

NEVER HAD charlotte ever thought that she would find herself here. here, as in the hallway of lusail stadium, where spain would have their round of 16 match. though she wasn't playing, she definitely could feel the nerves kicking in. she wanted her country to win. but she didn't want a spain vs france match which would leave her to blow her brain out. "are you sure we're allowed here?" char hesitated as via snooped past the security guard. "of course not. but we are family," the two were now walking through the corridor, attempting to not look suspicious. "what do you mean?" olivia mentally smacked herself as she had let those words out of its cage. she hadn't spoken to anyone about the sibling case. charlotte did know, but she wasn't used to the fact that her supposed enemy and friend were siblings. "you can't tell anyone char," olivia reassured the spaniard-monegasque outside the locker room door. "about that-"

"no, I mean it,"

"I know you do! its just that I-"

"it could ruin my career!" was the last thing spoken between the two before olivia pushed open the handle, forgetting to knock. "oh my-" charlotte wrapped a hand over her eyes, attempting to forget the view. "what have my eyes just witnessed," all 24 men in the room chuckled at their reaction's before someone ruined the moment. "won't hug the brother will you?" jordi alba joked, not realizing that the younger of the two was not aware of the news spread. olivia's eyes widened as she opened her mouth in an attempt to defend herself. "what do you-? I mean... sibling? wha-" the rest of them laughed at her defensive behaviour. "what happened to you? I was talking to char," he added. now it was charlotte's turn to widen her eyes. she felt olivia's eyes bore into the side of her head. "we'll have to admit, you kept it in for a very long time char," alvaro morata smiled at her. charlotte could feel her head spinning, blurring her periphery. she turned her head to look at pablo, as he dropped his gaze to the floor, showcasing his feelings.

so much for a holiday, charlotte thought.