ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 19

midnight rain

chapter 19 "HOLIDAY AND PEPPERMINT CANDY"

all text in italics is spoken in catalan/spanish

"BUT THAT was when I got to know Mr. 'Change of heart'. Mr. 'Leaves me all alone', I fall apart. It takes everything in me just to get up each day, but it's wonderful to see that you're okay-ay!" Mikky rolled her eyes at Charlotte's antics. Yes, she loved Taylor Swift and the Fearless album was a masterpiece, especially Taylor's Version. But after a long and taxing two days of re-thinking and overthinking her life choices and relationships, she didn't feel like Mr. Perfectly Fine was the right song for the moment. She had told all of them about the whole 'Frenkie fiasco', and they'd tried their best to advise and support her. Charlotte had just said a low "leave him in the ditches 'cause we got guacamole to make" and after all the TS she listened to, Mikky had seriously wondered how none of the poetic proverbs had passed onto her. This, she had expressed to Charlotte herself and Charlotte had suggested listening to the queen herself, therefore leading to a Fearless (Taylor's Version) (From the Vault) karaoke. And normally, the Dutchie would never turn down a karaoke session, but the mood had dropped to a dangerously low level. They both hadn't had a holiday in a while and Mikky had always complained that she'd never had a proper one since she started working. But when she finally had one (noted that it was still a suspension), she had never felt more alone. 

CHARLOTTE IGNORED all the frowns and grumbling coming from her friend and instead decided to focus on singing the second verse word-to-word. Charlotte absolutely loved Taylor Swift. It was like she had composed a song for every possible problem in the universe, blessing each soul with something to cope with to help them through everything. She wouldn't say she worshipped her, but she was a role model. And though whoever she told would tell her otherwise, she was a die-hard reputation fan. There was just something about the mellow vibes of 'Delicate' and the vocals in 'Don't Blame Me' that just screamed her. She found herself making up foolish yet entertaining scenarios in her head to put herself to sleep, basing them on the songs and how sorry people would feel for the main character. Charlotte knew they were all highly unrealistic, dramatic, and stupid, but sometimes it felt nice to live in her own bubble. And whenever she spoke of reputation, she saw the disapproving stares and heard the unconvinced dialogue of everyone around. It was like no one could believe she was a Scorpio and a Reputation gal because of her soft, sweet, and calm exterior. She would pride herself the day she found someone who would accept her and love her and scream the lyrics of 'Call it What You Want' in the middle of a serious conversation.

BUT THAT DAY would not be coming anytime soon. As far as her love life went, she spent most of it guiding her friends through theirs. There was absolutely nothing romantic in her path, and as much as she wished otherwise, she was okay with it. Sure, she couldn't remember the last boyfriend she had, but Charlotte excused that as being extremely introverted and aware of her morals.

STILL, as much as she loved Taylor Swift, she paused the karaoke on the T.V and turned to stare at her friend. "Come on, Mikky. You never turn down TS. What's going on?" Her eyebrows furrowed as she practically pleaded for her friend to tell her while she sat down on the couch and rested one hand on her friend's lap. Charlotte had known Mikky for the longest time, being friends with each other since before Mikky had met Olivia; in fact, she had been the one to introduce them. There was something stirring inside Mikky, and she knew Charlotte could tell.

Mikky sighed before answering her friend. "I think I have to quit my job."

Charlotte's face showcased pure shock and terror as she popped a piece of peppermint candy into her mouth, hoping it would conceal her face somehow. But for the sake of her friend, she pushed aside all doubts and decided to opt for a more sensible option. She threw on the calmest expression she could fathom and politely responded.