Journey of Lifetime Love

Request for James Dutton
Reader is James Dutton's friend, and she has been in his life since they were children and traveling the trails but what happens when she falls in love with him over the journey

My parents didn't quite understand why I was joining James on his journey to cross the country on the Oregon trail. But there was something about the thrill of traveling somewhere new. The fear of the unknown didn't deter me away from the chance. Climbing down from my horse throwing my hair around I grinned. "Morning Margaret. How did you sleep last night?"

"Good, you?" I smiled at her answer before we saw James and the other cowboys coming back from their hunt. I blushed when he glanced at me longer than he normally did. "Y/n, when are you two gonna stop beating around the bush about it?"

Whipping my head around at her I knitted my brows. "What are you talking about?"

"I can see the way he looks at you. And the way you look at him. It's rather obvious." She declined where I sort of understood what she was saying.

I have been childhood best friends with James forever. But for years i never considered having feelings for him. He was a kind man but we were just friends and he has kids with Margaret. "Margaret, I can't have feelings for him. You and him are together-"

"Oh honey sssh. We may have kids together but we don't love each other." She held her hands up in surrender before she took me by the arm leading me over to James.

He slowly dismounted his horse running his hands over the saddle turning around when he heard us approach. He held a hand over his black cowboy hat smiling lightly. "Hey you two. What's going on with you two?"

"Y/n and you need to talk about your relationship. Cause I know you got with me because we ended up pregnant. I love you but not as much as she does you." Margaret blurted out gently pushing me against his chest leaving quickly before I could stop her.

Janes rubbed the back of his neck he chuckled nervously. "So what does she want us to talk about here. I mean I thought we were best friends and nothing else...at least that's what I wanted you to think."

"James Dutton, don't be pulling my leg now. Cause of course I have feelings for you. I can't think of someone who wouldn't. You're an honest gentleman and will do anything for your family. I...I just didn't think that we were going into that type of relationship. I don't want to break up what Margaret and you have." I ramble off throwing my hands up in the air feeling my face turn red so I pulled my hat downward.

Instead of saying another word he walked forward taking my face in his hands kissing me. I gasped running my fingers through his hair knocking his hat onto the dirt ground. "I feel the same way about you, darling. You've always been more than a friend to me." He declares resting his forehead against mine.

"I can say the same about you, James. Now we can conquer the new world together." I smiled kissing him softly.

He wrapped his arms around my waist hugging me into his embrace. "One of the Indians told me that maybe one day I would find land to belong to. The catch for me is I have found someone to belong to. It's you Y/n."

"Then I'll belong to you too, James." Leaning up on my toes I deepened the kiss where he knocked off my hat too in the process.

Comments really appreciated ❤️