Hafsa

The way she had left, I thought she had gone for good. Hence, I was surprised when she came back with a wheelchair.

"Where are we going?" I asked as she helped me out of the bed and onto the wheelchair.

"You will get to know soon," she replied, barely looking at me.

She silently took me down the corridor out of the ward I was in, stopping once to inform the receptionist that I was going to be with her for a few hours.

                                                                 ************************

"We are here," she announced.

"The pediatric ward?" I blurted out. "Don't you think I am a bit too old to visit a pediatrician?"

"Don't worry, we are not here to visit the pediatrician," she smiled. "We are here to visit the children."

I didn't really like the idea of spending time with children. I never really had a good experience with children. I always found them too annoying. It was Ulfat who loved babies, toddlers, and children as a whole. They could litter her whole room and she'd smile. Sometimes she'd even join them in making a mess, despite being aware that she'd have to clean all by herself. She'd become a child around children.

"You like children?" Dr. Rehma guessed.

"No, I don't," I replied defensively.

She looked surprised at that.

"You were smiling while looking at them, so I thought you like children," she reasoned. "But I am sure you are going to love these children."

"My cousin sister loves children. She sometimes becomes a child around children."

I could feel a smile spreading over my face with a mixture of emotions. I wished I hadn't said that, but you can't take back what you said. Can you now?

Dr. Rehma turned to look at the floor.

"A true friend is not one who only agrees with every right or wrong you say. A true friend stops you from doing wrong to yourself, even if it may cost your friendship." Then turning to me she continued, "Don't be ignorant and ruin your friendship based on assumptions. If you have questions, ask her. The relationship never dies a natural death they are murdered by ego, attitude and ignorance."1

1 SirnivasShenoy