Chapter 10: Newfound Friendship

possible tw for implied verbal-sexual harassment? it's just referenced as a character getting unwanted male attention but i want to preface this incase it makes anyone uncomfortable :)

October 11th, 1975

It was a quiet morning in the library, where Remus and Lily sat across from each other, discussing their latest issues with each other.

"Michael Carr asked me to Hogsmeade next weekend," Lily sighed.

"The Hufflepuff boy?" Remus asked, intrigued. "What did you tell him?"

"I don't know," Lily replied.

Remus chuckled. "You don't know what you told him?"

"No," Lily groaned, "I told him that I didn't know."

Remus laughed again, this time it was more in disbelief than amusement. "You told him that you didn't know if you wanted to go to Hogsmeade with him? Isn't he one of the most sought after boys in our year? Lils, is it too mean if I call you an idiot?"

Lily light hit Remus' arm then began to defend her situation, "I don't want to get his hopes up that I want to be with him or something, you know? I barely know him!"

"Well, wouldn't going to Hogsmeade with him be a chance to get to know him?" Remus asked.

"I guess, it's just..." Lily started, but took a pause to gather her thoughts. "I was supposed to go with someone else."

Remus caught on quickly enough that the someone else Lily was referring to was Snape. "Maybe I'm not the best person to talk to about this..."

"No, you're right, I'm sorry. I just... I don't know what's gotten into him lately. He's never been like this before."

Remus sighed. "Yes, he has."

"What?" Lily asked, furrowing her brow.

"He's always been like this, you're just realising it for the first time now because he hid it so well."

Lily stayed quiet, and Remus continued, "I'm not going to tell you who to be friends with, Lily. But I do know that you know deep down you know I'm right about him."

Remus got up from his seat, leaving Lily with her thoughts, and began to leave the library. He was so focused on where he was going, that he didn't notice he had bumped into someone on his way out.

"Hi," the boy said, trying to get his attention.

"Oh, sorry. Guess I didn't look where I was walking," Remus replied.

"Lupin?" the boy asked.

"Yes?" Remus replied, confused as to who the person he was talking to was and how he knew him.

"Charles Walker," he introduced himself upon seeing Remus' confused expression. "We're in the same Transfiguration class."

"Oh, right. You're the Ravenclaw boy that sits behind Marlene and Peter."

Charles nodded. There was an awkward silence between them before Remus spoke up again.

"Sorry for running into you," he said.

"Oh, it was no issue at all, really," Charles replied with a smile. Remus took notice of how soft his dark eyes were when he smiled. "So, did you just come back from studying?" he continued.

"Not really," Remus replied, "I was just speaking to my friend Lily."

"The redheaded girl?" Charles asked.