Poe Cup

Iris's POV

In the days following our visit to Jericho, Larissa seemed to be constantly busy with preparations. Anytime I went to see her she was either in a meeting or not in her office. Admittedly, I had missed her presence way more than I thought I could. I had thought that being away from her would help get rid of my crush, but it had only seemed to get worse. As my thoughts were constantly filled with her. I caught myself dazing in my classes, not being able to pay attention. The only thing that had managed to keep my attention other than her was my friends. The meeting with the art club went well and I actually managed to find a few friends in the club. Xavier became one of my closest ones, as we spent many afternoons helping each other out with projects. He had dragged me along on several occasions to help him with the various murals around the school. He let me add some of my own art into the murals as well, our contrasting styles always came up with something interesting as we painted. I had also seen Wednesday again, as she had pulled me aside during class one day, dragging me along as she followed a couple of leads. Though the girl wasn't very sociable I had come to think of her as somewhat of a friend. This led to me meeting her eccentric roommate, who seemed to get along with everyone. Enid had been the one to drag me to her lunch table one day as she had seen me sitting alone. We bonded on the topic of not being able to wolf out, and she was ecstatic to find someone like her. It was definitely nice to find someone who also struggled with an overbearing mother. I hadn't imagined myself making any friends here, but now I had a group of my own.

I was sitting at the lunch table with Enid and a couple of her friends. "Are you doing the Poe Cup?" Enid asked with excitement. I shook my head, I wasn't even sure I could since I didn't belong to any of the dorms. "Why not? It's only the best part of going here." She said slightly disappointed. "I live in the staff quarters, I don't belong to any of the teams." I said with a shrug, I wasn't particularly upset about it though. I would be happy just to sit and watch the competition. I couldn't imagine myself on a boat in the lake, not being able to see the bottom. I shivered just thinking about it. "I'll be watching though, cheering for you guys." Enid seemed to accept the answer continuing to gush about the amazing costumes she had made for the event.

The following day I found myself standing in the large crowd surrounding the lake. The tents and crowds had made me feel a bit claustrophobic. I had known this event was important to Enid, and Xavier so I was going to stick it out for them. I managed to secure a spot rather close to the front of the crowd. I saw Xavier take his spot with his team, dressed up in costume making me laugh slightly at his joker hat. He looked back in my direction, catching my gaze. He smiled, waving at me slightly. I nodded laughing as I pointed to his hat giving him a thumbs up. Suddenly Wednesday slumped in the boat next to his making him gaze over at her. Once he looked back at me I rose my eyebrows suggestively making his cheeks go pink with embarrassment. I had felt eyes on me, turning in the direction Ms. Weems was now on the podium. Once again elegantly dressed, as she waited for the students to get in the boats. Her eyes locked with mine, and I couldn't help but shiver slightly. I hadn't realized how much I had missed her deep blue eyes. She seemed to snap out of our staring contest putting on a dazzling smile as she stared out into the large crowd of kids. Even though her gaze wasn't on me anymore, I couldn't seem to take my eyes away from her, as she started to announce the Poe Cup. My gaze caught on her gloved hands as she laid one on her hip. Leaning almost seductively, pushing her hip out slightly. Suddenly my thoughts were filled with how it would feel if my hand was in that spot. I could imagine my hand wrapped around her hips, her gloved hands running through my hair. I hadn't realized how long I had been staring at her until the gun popped signaling the start of the race. Looking up Larissa was already staring at me, a wild look in her eyes. I could tell she had caught my eyes wandering her body. I should be embarrassed, but I wasn't. I smirked at her lightly, before turning to watch the race. My heart beat wildly at what I did, I hadn't been that straightforward before. I tried to focus on the race as the boats raced to the island where the flags were held. I could see Wednesday and Enid's team making a quick 1st with Xavier's team quickly behind. I made an effort to not look back at Larissa as I stood there, trying not to make it seem like my thoughts weren't filled with her.