Awake

Iris's POV

I couldn't see anything, but I could smell the sterile environment of the nurse's office. I could make out the slight thrum of the heart monitor and annoyed whispers to the side of me. "No....Eugene." I recognized as Wednesday's voice, the irritation evident in her tone. I willed my eyes open. The sterile lights above me were almost blinding, making my eyes water. I groaned lightly as I moved, the skin on my shoulder tightening uncomfortably. I could feel that the wound had been stitched up, rubbing uncomfortably against the gauze covering it. After my eyes adjusted to the lights, I observed the room, noticing the heart monitor to the left of me, beeping slowly with each heartbeat. Finally, my eyes fell on Wednesday, standing in the doorway of the room. She stalked her way into the room, standing before my bed stiffly. "Good, you're awake. People were starting to worry." She said, trying to act uninterested, but I could tell she had been relieved to see me awake. "Yes, well, it will take more than a stupid fountain to kill me, unfortunately for you Wednesday." I said smiling at her, I saw her tense shoulders drop, relieved that I wasn't upset with her. I knew she had something to do with what happened to the fountain. She had expressed the disdain she had for Crackstone to me many times, not that it was undeserving. I just wished she would have warned me about what was going to happen before I got caught in the crossfire, not to mention my friends. "How long have I been out?" I asked, finally pulling myself up into a sitting position.

"A couple of hours now." I nodded, deciding I was sick of laying in the bed. I pushed my legs over the side. "Xavier made me ask him to the Rave'in while you were out." Wednesday said I looked at her in surprise. I knew Xavier liked Wednesday, but I didn't think he was really going to act on it. "What do you mean he made you?" I asked, confused. "While you were out, I caught him sneaking around a shed behind the school. So I went to investigate, and he caught me when I came out of the shed. I had to cover myself, so he made me ask him to the dance." She said. I was confused about why she was in the shed in the first place. "Did you find anything in the shed?" I asked, hoping that she hadn't found anything suspicious. My stomach dropped as she nodded. "He had paintings of the monster, scattered all around the room." I shook my head, I couldn't believe Xavier was keeping whatever he was doing in that shed away from me. I didn't want to believe he had anything to do with the monster, but hiding drawings of the monster was pretty suspicious. "So what's your plan? Are you going to ask him about what you found?" I said, still in shock that one of my best friends could have anything to do with the monster. "I'm hoping to get something out of him at the dance. Then maybe you can distract him later, and I can investigate the shed for further evidence." As much as I didn't want to have any part of this, I couldn't put it past Xavier to lie about something like that. Especially after what had happened with his cult the other day. "Sure, just let me know. Now, I'm injured, and I would prefer not to think about this anymore." I said she seemed to understand as she started for the exit. Once at the door, she turned to me once more, her eyebrow twitched slightly before she gave me a stoic look once more. "Iris, I'm glad you are okay." She said before pushing out of the door. I really didn't expect that, but maybe we are truly becoming friends. Finally, alone I pushed myself to stand. My legs shook lightly, with my weight.

Suddenly, the door opened once more. I groaned lightly. "What now, Wednesday? I thought we finished talking about this." Turning around, I saw Larissa standing before me. "Oh, uh, what are you doing here?" I said, a little surprised to see her at all. She seemed relieved to see I was awake letting out a breath of relief. "I came to check on you." She said, her gloved hands clasped together nervously. I was honestly surprised she even came to see me after avoiding me like the plague. "You know you really shouldn't be out of bed." She said, gesturing for me to sit back on the bed. I scoffed slightly. "Now you care about what I'm doing. You didn't seem to even look my way yesterday." She frowned slightly, pushing further into the room, but still keeping distance between us. "I'm sorry, Iris, but what happened in my office shouldn't have happened." I nodded slightly, already knowing where this was going. I should have known that this wasn't going anywhere. I lowered myself down onto the bed, looking towards her once more. "There you can go now. You've done your duties, making sure your student is okay." I saw her face tinge with hurt at my words. "Iris, you know it's not like that.." As much as I wanted her to stay with me, especially after everything that happened. I knew I would just hurt myself further, trying to understand why she had led me on. Why she hadn't sent me on my way when I had told her how I felt? I hadn't expected her to return my feelings at all, I just wanted her to stop treating me the way she was. She should have told me she couldn't do it right then and there instead of confusing me with that kiss. It really hurt me when she ignored me all day yesterday, I am not going to torture myself, staying away from her would be the best for me right now. "I think I just need some rest Principle Weems, I'm sure I'll be just fine to go back to classes tomorrow." She sighed lightly, nodding before heading for the door. I watched her leave, wishing I hadn't said anything at all. I wish I had just shut up and had her stay by my side. Just pretend like nothing had happened between us, but I couldn't, not after everything. 

Shortly after Larissa left, I got a visit from Enid with a change of clothes. Then, the nurse taking care of me gave me supplies to care for my injuries before allowing me to go back to my room. Instead of my room, I made my way to the library, hoping that a book could distract me. I didn't understand what was going on anymore, between everything happening with Wednesday and Larissa, I haven't had any time to relax or absorb what was going on. Quickly finding a novel that looked interesting, I took a seat next to one of the windows. Seeing it was raining, which gave off the perfect atmosphere for getting lost in a book. After reading the first couple of words, I began to drop everything that was stressing me out, falling into the narrative of the book.

I could hear someone shuffling up to the chair I was sitting in, and I groaned internally. I was hoping to get time by myself, but this school is just one thing after another. Someone cleared their throat lightly, making me look up. Standing in front of me was Ms. Thornhill her face holding an unnerving smile. "Principal Weems wanted me to inform you that tomorrow is Parents' Day, you missed the announcement when you were out." She said, her voice thick with fake niceness. I could feel my stomach drop, knowing that my parents would definitely be showing up, if nothing, but to protect their perfect image. I nodded slightly. "Thank you, Ms. Thornhill, I appreciate the heads up." I said, trying to be kind to her even though she creeped me out. "Just helping out the headmistress, lord knows she overworks herself worrying about students she shouldn't have to worry about." My lips twitched in annoyance. Of course, I knew she was jealous. I nodded, hoping she would just leave me be, I certainly didn't need any more problems. "Wonderful, do enjoy your book, Ms. Night." She stated with a sneer-like smile, gracing her face as she walked off. I should have figured she and Larissa would be talking about me. They obviously had something going on. Who was I to be upset about it? They were both consenting adults, with far less of an age gap. Of course, Larissa would rather be with someone like her. It was stupid of me to think anything else.

AN
Hey guys, it's been a while 😰, sorry about that. Started a new summer job that has me getting up at 3am, so I've been struggling to the max. But thanks for sticking with me. I hope I didn't disappoint you too much with this chapter, but I love some good old-fashioned angst. Don't worry tho, good things will come. I'm hoping to continue this more now that I'm not worrying about schoolwork, but we will see. Anyway, thanks for reading. Stay safe, loves. 😘