Chapter Two - Ace Of Spades

"I'll do this honey." I nodded gratefully, dad stood up and brought Charlotte to me. Taking her from him I carried her upstairs and to her room. Blake was just disposing of Adrien's dirtied nappy like it were some offending object. He has a fluffy pink night blanket wrapped around his mouth and nose. I couldn't help but smile at that.

"I'm so going to get you back for this..." He grumbled, his voice muffled by the fabric.

"I don't doubt it for a second brother!" Rocking Charlotte as I held her head against my shoulder I mouthed a thank you to Blake.

"You okay?" He walked towards me untying the blanket and pulling out several wet wipes to clean his hands.

"Yeah. Just tired." I looked over his shoulder to Adrien, he was contently playing with the toys dangling above his crib. Kissing Blake on the cheek I walked around him, "I'll see you later." He nodded.

"Okay, I'll pretend like something isn't wrong until then." Sighing I nodded. He left and I spent the next hour getting both Adrien and Charlotte to sleep. I took my time in most part because I wanted to let Aaron cool off. It was time we talked about this, his attitude towards his family was a big deal for me and he needed to understand that. I'm okay with him needing time but I'm not okay with him forcing me to accept that he wants nothing to do with them.

Preparing myself for a long and tiring fight I put Adrien down and switched on the baby monitor. Sucking in a deep breath I walked to our room, Aaron was sitting on the edge of the bed with his back to the door, his head sat snug in his palms. At first I though his body was tense with anger but then I saw it slacken slightly. "Aaron." He straightened, running a hand through his hair.

I moved across the room and stood in front of him, placing my hands on his shoulders I gave him a light squeeze. Wrapping his arms around my waist he buried his face into my stomach. Running my hands along his shoulders I tangled my fingers in his hair and pulled him closer. "I'm sorry I yelled."

"I know." We remained that way for several minutes, neither of us saying a word. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt him, I just wanted answers. I wanted to help him, to help him out of this pain he tries so hard to hide even from himself. "Aaron...what aren't you telling me?" He tensed and usually I would have let this go for now and tried to comfort him, we most likely would have ended up tangled between the sheets, having once again pushed the real issue aside with sex.

Pulling away I cupped his face and lifted him to look at me. "Why didn't you live at the Quinn mansion when I met you? It's your home too, so why choose to live alone and away from your family-"

"I don't want to talk a about this-" he clasped my hips and I instantly moved back creating some distance between us. "What? You won't let me touch you until I tell you?" He spat in irritation and slight hurt. I stepped forward again and sat in his lap.

"I'm not going to punish you for hurting Aaron...I just want to help you. Please let me help you." Resting his head on my shoulder he buried his face against my neck. Wrapping an arm around my waist he laced his fingers with my free hand.

"Just forgetting about them is helping me Charlie. I don't want to talk about them, or see them. Why can't our family just end with you, me, Charlotte, Adrien and the Campbell's?" I kissed the top of his head, my eyes teared with the heartbreaking plea in his voice.

"Because that's not how it works baby...family is always going to be family, no matter what." Hugging him closer I kissed him again. "I need you to speak to me Aaron, tell me why this pains you so much. What drove a wedge between you and your family?"

"I...I can't Charlie."

"I won't push you, because I need you to want to tell me. In time, I know you will. I'll be just as patient with you as you were with me. You never forced me once to tell you about Dallas, eventually I needed to tell you...I wanted to. I can only hope one day you'll trust me enough to tell me your pain." Lifting his head he kissed my jaw, I brought my lips over his in a reassuring kiss. "I'm here Aaron...I'm right here, with you...for you. You just have to trust me. I love you Aaron, I love you more than you'll ever know.