Chapter Fifteen - Birthday Boy

***

"Aaron I don't want to talk about this right now! I'm tired alright, the twins are taking longer and longer to get to sleep and I'm...just wiped okay." Wrapping his arms around my waist, he kissed the side of my head.

"Charlie you don't have to do so much work, I'm here, let me help...I can at least put the twins down for you." Holding me closer, he brushed his lips along the side of my neck. Unable to fight the comforting sensation of his smooth lips against my skin I moaned. My eyes shot open, abruptly pushing away I flipped to face him. "Sorry...whatever I did to upset you, I'm sorry."

Sighing I gestured towards the bed. "Just go to sleep Aaron, we'll talk about this in the morning." Closing the distance between us, he cupped the side of my head, tangling his fingers through my hair he drew me closer.

"I'm still sorry..." Lowering his head, he neared my lips. I quickly turned away, causing his kiss to land against my cheek instead of my mouth. 'Fuck...this is harder than I thought.' Clenching his jaw, he pulled away. It took every ounce of will power I possessed not to jump him and apologise for being such a bitch. I hated making him feel this way...but he'd gotten too damn close to Maddy's diary. I wasn't ready for him know about it yet, for one I had no clue of how he'd react. My instincts were leaning towards him losing his shit.

I couldn't think of another way to distract him, sex would have only kept him occupied so long...my anger however; it would occupy his mind until I was smiling again. My heart warmed at the realisation, which only made this whole charade that much harder to keep going. I glanced at the clock, 'only two more hour Charlie, two more hour.' "Let's just go to sleep." I mumbled, unable to meet his gaze. Shuffling across the room, I slipped under the protection of our covers. After a few seconds, his tense frame lowered into bed behind me.

Aaron preferred to sleep without any sheets or blankets covering him; on occasions where I was pissed however, he made an exception...so he could hold me. This time, I didn't allow him to. As his hand slid up the side of my thigh, gently caressing my skin, I flipped onto my back. Sighing, he pulled his hand back. When I lost count of how many times we sighed, I finally turned to look at him. Tilting his head, he watched me cautiously. "You're still awake." I whispered.

"So are you." He pointed out, closing my eyes I turned my back to him. Reaching back I gripped his hand. Curling his arm around my middle, I shuffled back against his firm body. "I'm sorry for whatever I did Charlie, I will fix it..." He breathed, nuzzling my bare shoulder. 'Only one more hour Charlie, just one more hour.' I watched the numbers on the digital clock flip excruciatingly slowly. Aaron's warm steady breaths fanned the nape of my neck rhythmically, signalling his deep slumber. Groaning, I sent a silent prayer of gratitude up to the heavens.

Squirming out of his grip cautiously, helped to pass the final ten minutes of waiting. "Finally..." I whispered as the final minute passed and midnight struck. Padding across the room, I threw a quick glance over my shoulder. Carefully retrieving Maddy's diary from the draw Aaron had been insistent on opening earlier, I slipped out of the room; leaving the door ajar had been a brilliant call on my part.

Finding a safe location for my late mother-in-laws memories, under the draw full of onesies Aaron refused to allow our children to wear, I hurried downstairs. Pulling out the bottle of honey, which conveniently had a twist-to-close spout, and whipped cream from their respective places in the pantry and fridge, I climbed the stairs at double time. Cradling both bottles in one arm, I used my free hand to slip off my panties. Chewing on my bottom lip, I crossed the large space and steadily climbed onto my sleeping husbands lap. Groaning adorably, he stirred.

"Charlie?" He croaked in that familiarly husky whisper that drove me absolutely insane. Sealing my lips over his, I chuckled softly.

"Happy birthday sweetheart..." I felt his mouth curve into a delectable smile against my eager lips. Cupping my face suddenly, he pulled back.