Chapter Three - The Murder, Suicide

"Forget it." I walked away unable to stand their silence any longer. On my lunch break I made sure to look over the forms before making an appointment with Lorraine's psychiatrist to discuss my decision to do this. I would only lodge the forms once I had confirmation from the psychiatrist, I needed to make sure Lorraine was in fact recovering and that taking her from the facility and reintroducing her to society wouldn't back track her treatment. After all from what I had seen she was making progress and I wasn't about to let her helping me ruin all the work she'd done.

"Charlie." Aaron's cautious voice came through the door, he knocked again and I sighed. Moving the forms into my draw I quickly cleared the desk and sat back down.

"Come in." Clasping my hands together I leaned my elbows on the desk. Pressing my forehead to the back of my hand I took in several breaths. "What do you need Mr Quinn?"

"Charlie...don't be like that-"

"Like what Aaron?!" Pushing away from my desk I moved to stand by the window, covering my face with my hands I released another breath. His hands slid over my hips and came to sit over my stomach. I found myself leaning into his embrace, pushing aside all my anger, sadness and exhaustion.

"You're tired sweetheart." I smiled weakly.

"And why would you say that?" Kissing into my shoulder he leaned his head against the side of mine.

"A hunch." Resting my hands over his I slid my fingers between his. "I'm sorry about Arial, I swear she'll never cross that line again." I loosened my grip and attempted to move away, he tightened his hold.

"Whatever Aaron, I only have two more weeks to put up with this shit anyway."

"No. Please. Just...just listen Charlie...I need to tell you something." I stopped struggling and focused on him. His voice had trembled slightly and from the rate his chest was expanding and falling at, I couple tell he was afraid.

Turning in his arms I placed a kiss on his lips. Guiding him towards my chair I sat down in his lap. "It's okay...go ahead." He held my gaze and I didn't allow my eyes to falter for even a second. "Please tell me Aaron..." He nodded reluctantly.

"Even before Arial I wasn't a good guy...well I was the guy you'd spend a night with only to wake up to find he'd forgotten your name. I was the guy who run a red light and ruin some innocent guys ride..." I cupped his face face and lifted his head as it fell. "When Arial left, she took the last bit of humanity I had left. I hated the world and made sure everyone around me paid for that."

I didn't know how else to comfort him. Resting my head on his shoulder I placed a hand on his cheek. Lowering his head I kissed his jaw. "Please Aaron...don't feel ashamed, tell me."

"Please don't hate me Charlie."

"I could never hate you...not really. If anything you trusting me enough to open up makes me love you more." Connecting our lips I kissed him passionately. "I love you Aaron and nothing will ever change that."

"I've lost count of how many hearts I broke...I didn't even feel the slightest bit of remorse. So many tears Charlie and not once did I stop to apologise. Getting drunk, partying...sleeping around...I did it all Charlie, for years. Six months after Arial left, she came back. She told me she'd made a mistake and that she wanted to try again. I lost it that night, I got smashed...I can't remember a single thing from the second I picked up the first bottle of whisky. I thought what happened that night was all over, Lorraine, Arial and I never said anything about that night again. All I know is what Arial and Lorraine had told me, I'm not sure how much of what Lorraine said was true but...regardless, I did something that night. Something really bad, something I'm afraid you could never forgive me for...because I will never forgive myself for it."