chapter one

I was in first grade when I met Miguel Cazarez Mora. My best friend.

We were in the same class. I remember him walking up to me...

*2013*

"Hey, is anyone sitting here?" Miguel asked me. I shook my head. He smiled as he sat down. "I'm Miguel. But you can call me Mikey." He said. I grinned, saying, "I'm Y/n. Can I borrow your crayon?" He held it out to me, still smiling. 

*2023*

"Y/nnnnnnn. DUDE WAKE UP." Miguel yelled, throwing a pillow at me. We had our monthly sleepover, which he was always the first one to wake up. "Stop ittt. What time is it?" I mumbled. Miguel picked up his phone to check the time. "It's 1." I turned to him. "In the morning?" He laughed saying, "The sun's out, dumbass." Oh. "Fuck." I said, climbing out of the huge fort we made. (Yeah, we're 15. Yeah, we still make forts. Get over it.) As I was brushing my teeth and Miguel was scrolling on his phone, my mom walked into my room. "Oh, you guys are FINALLY awake. Good morning." She said, walking over to Miguel to hug him, then hugging me. Ever since Mikey and I became friends, our families morphed into one. His mom is like my second mom, my mom is like his second mom, same thing with our dads and siblings. 

"You guys hungry?" My mom asked. Miguel and I shook our heads, not because we weren't hungry (Jesus Christ, we were starving), but because we didn't want Mom to make us food when we could get some ourselves. "You sure? I already made pancakes... If you two change your minds you better get downstairs before your dad eats all of them..." My mom said, slowly walking out of the room. Miguel and I got to our feet so fast and basically sprinted out of my room.

At the kitchen table, my dad was already eating some pancakes, as expected. "Hey Dad!" I said, hugging him. "Hi hon, Hey Mikey!" My dad responded. "Hey" Miguel said, dapping up my dad. They're weird like that. We all sat down at the table and started stuffing our faces with the delicious pancakes my mom had made. After a few minutes, my mom said, "So, I saw the fort, what else did you guys do last night? You didn't pull another all nighter, did you?" Miguel responded, saying, "We watched the Fear Street Trilogy, and we were going to pull an all nighter, until SOMEBODY fell asleep." He jokingly glared at me. "What? I got tired, jeez." My parents looked at each other and chuckled, shaking their heads.

After Miguel went back to his house, I went upstairs to my room to go change and put on some makeup. After I was done, I flopped down on my bed and watched some more Netflix. (If you can't tell, I'm an absolute Netflix ADDICT.) A few hours later, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Miguel.

baddie bestie mikeyy 🤞💗: yo, u wanna come over nd go to the store w me and alondra?

I texted him back.

you: bet, ill be at ur house in 5

I ran downstairs, getting my shoes on. "I'm going to Miguel's, BYE" I yelled as I was about to close the door. "Bye honey, love you!!" I heard my parents yell back. I love them.

As I got on my skateboard to go to Miguel's house, I put in my airpods to turn on some music. Miguel lives in the neighborhood next to mine, so it takes me around 7 minutes to skate there. And since we live so close, we always carpool to school together, which is really fun. 

When I got to Miguel's house, I leaned my skateboard against the wall of his garage, walking up to the door. I rung the doorbell, even though the door was wide open. "COME IN!!" I heard someone yell from somewhere in the house. Wendy. Miguel's mom. As I walked into the kitchen, I saw Wendy cooking. "Hi, mija! Come here, give me a hug." She said, drying her hands. I hugged her, saying, "Hi Wendy, what are you making?" She rolled her eyes. "Alondra has a bake sale for school tomorrow. She refused to make the cookies herself, so... here I am." I giggled, saying, "I can help, if you want." She shook her head, saying, "No, no, Y/n, you go hang out with Miguel and Alondra, they're upstairs, you go have fun. But thank you for offering." I smiled, "Are you sure?" She smiled, jokingly shooing me away, "Go on, I'll be fine, thank you, though."

I ran upstairs, where Miguel and Alondra were sitting on the floor of Alondra's room. "Y/n!" Alondra said, running to me and suffocating me with a hug. "Hiii, I we haven't seen each other in so long." I said when she let go. "Come on, no time to lose, we gotta go to the store, I WANT REDBULL" She said, grabbing my hand and dragging me out of the room. Miguel shook his head laughing, "We are NOT getting you RedBull." Alondra rolled her eyes at him. We walked out of the room, put our shoes on, and then we were off to the store.