chapter eleven

One year later.

It has been one year since Miguel and I had our fight. Scared that we would lose each other, scared that we would say things we would regret, we hadn't fought since and our relationship grew stronger. We had celebrated our one year a couple weeks ago, and we were both incredibly happy. 

"Love, you okay?" A voice said, bringing me back to reality. I blinked. My head was in Miguel's lap, stroking my hair as we watched a movie. (Let's be honest, I wasn't actually watching.) I looked up at Miguel. Smiling, I said, "Yeah, I'm just thinking." Miguel reached over to the remote, pausing the movie. "About what?" He said, smirking. "About, you know... us." I said, looking up at him. 

He sat me up, kissing me softly. We made out for a couple more minutes, until he broke the kiss, smiling. "I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow." He said, standing up. "Kay, see you then." I said. As he was about to leave, he turned and said, "Y/n?" "Yeah?" I asked. "I love you. We're forever, okay?" He said. "Forever." I repeated, as he walked out the door.

I got the phone call at 4:28 AM. It was his mom. Confused, I picked up, "Hello?" I heard sobbing on the other line. "Y/n?" "Yes, hi. Is... is everything okay?" I asked. "Mija, it... something happened to Miguel." 

I felt my heart drop to my stomach. "What? Wait. What happened?" I frantically asked. "He.. he was hanging out with his friends... at a party. Then the gunshots came. I just... I don't understand.. why would this happen to him? He didn't do anything wrong, the shooter aimed wrong or some bullshit... I'm so sorry Y/n.." 

No. No. No. No. Not Mikey. Not my Miguel. They're wrong. "Oh my god. Is he.. in the hospital?" I asked, tears streaming down my face. After a moment of silence, his mom spoke again. "It was too late. The doctors couldn't do anything. After he was shot he walked out of the party, and he kept saying to his friends that he had to find you. He walked a mile, trying to find you, Y/n. But when he was found, he had lost- sorry. He lost too much blood, and... died from exhaustion." I heard sobbing on the other end. "I'm sorry I- I have to go." I said, everything inside of me dying.

One week later.

Yesterday was his funeral. He didn't look real, laying in his casket. When I was called up to speak, I could barely choke out the words. I was at the burial, and watched his body be lowered into the ground. Other than his funeral, I haven't left my room since he...

I keep looking at pictures, and listening to his old voicemails. It still doesn't hit me that he's gone. I cry, a lot. But it still feels like he's here.

At around the middle of the night, I glance at my phone. The time, 12:42 AM, shines in my face. I unlock my phone, and decide, fuck it. I ring up Miguel's number. I know that he's dead, but this seems like some good coping mechanism bullshit my therapist keeps talking about. The phone rings for a couple minutes. And then instead of his voicemail, I hear,

"...Y/n?"

I nearly throw my phone across the room. I pick it up, saying, "Um, hello?" "Y/n? Is this you?" "Uhm... yeah. Listen, real funny joke, whoever you are. But some people actually loved Mikey." Before I hang up I hear, "Wait. Stop. Don't hang up. Please." That's Miguel's voice. It's unmistakable. "...Mikey?" "Oh my god. Yes, hi. Hi. I love you." Tears were already streaming down my face. "Hi. I love you too, wait. How are you calling me? Where are you? You're supposed to be... dead." "Yeah. I mean, you called me, and I picked up. And, I don't know where I am. Listen, I don't have much time. I.. I tried to walk to you because I knew... that we needed to say goodbye. So I need to hear you say it."

"No. Mikey, I can't. I.." "Yes you can. You're so strong, you can. I love you. I love you infinity, Y/n. I need you to say it, so we can both move on. As much as I don't want to, I know we need to. I'm sorry, I love you, it was so dumb of me to go to that stupid party. But please know that I love you. And I need us to say goodbye. After this phone call, we will both not be able to talk to each other, but please don't forget me. I love you, and I always will." "Mikey.." I said, my voice breaking. I sighed. Pull yourself the fuck together, Y/n. "I love you, Miguel. I will never forget you..." After a moments pause, I said,

"Goodbye, Miguel. I love you."

"Goodbye, Y/n. I love you too, always will."

The line beeped. I put my phone down, sobbing. I didn't care if it was real or not, I heard his voice.

The next day, I left my house to visit his grave. I knelt down, setting some flowers down next to his grave. And I started talking. Just like we always would. I talked for hours, lying next to him. You know, the crazy thing is, I felt him, like as if he were actually there with me.

I exhaled happily, knowing that Miguel would hear me.

"You're the only friend I need."

the end.