Chapter 6

The next 2 weeks flew by as the boys texted and talked online almost every day. Shane relied on Nicky for adult conversation but was glad when his parents finally got home from their break. He explained to his mum how he'd met Nicky online and desperately wanted to meet him. His mother was delighted at the glow of her son's cheeks when he spoke about the policeman. She was all too happy to take care of her granddaughter when ever he needed in order to book a date with the blonde but work schedules were about to become a huge problem.

The last month had felt like a lifetime. The boys felt like they knew so much about each other now, there was no going back and meeting was the next step. If there was time.

Shane replied over text: I'm back at work 9 till 6 Thursday to Monday. Nicole goes to an after school club on a Wednesday so I'm free until 6pm cos her mates mum drops her off at me mams then I collect her.

N: you're kidding. I'm working 3pm to midnight Tues, weds, Thurs, Fri, Sun :( so cos I miss having the kids all day Sunday, I'm going round for tea on the Monday.

S: bollocks. How about breakfast Tomorrow or Weds? I don't need a beer to meet u.

N: Doing the school run this week as G is on earlies. Wouldn't get to town till gone 10am and have to be home by 2pm to get ready for work and get there so have to leave 1:30. Prefer we weren't rushed.

S: I understand babe. What about week after? My hours stay the same till Xmas.

N: I'm on 6am-3pm next week but with weds free so Tues evening be OK? Got kids all weekend.

S: should be fine. I'll see if Nicole can go stay at me mam's house and she can take her to school the next day.

N: planning a late night? ;)

S: who knows. What do you wanna do?

N: Leave it with me, I'll think of something.

Finally. Just one week and 2 days to wait. With this in mind Shane planned to give Nicky a call before then to hear his voice. They'd only texted each other so far, not even an add on social media. But then neither boy used Facebook much anyway and they didn't want to be judged by the drunk photos on their profiles. They knew they got on by using their finger tips but the biggest hurdle was going to be coming face to face and both of them had built up such a great anticipation over it, they'd never been so nervous in their lives.
**

Thursday was the opening of the late night shopping season at Stephen's Green shopping centre and Santa's grotto was to be open 4pm to 8pm even though Shane was under the impression he'd be finishing at 6. This meant his mother had to accompany Nicole to the event and have her home in bed by 7pm while Shane finished his shift.

Nicole wasn't naive. She knew Santa wasn't real but never mentioned it to other children in fear of spoiling their beliefs. She found it incredibly amusing that her daddy was playing an elf at the grotto. She giggled for almost an hour the day he received his uniform and tried it on for her. He looked utterly ridiculous and felt just as foolish but he was a natural with kids and tried to forget he looked a fool when the excited children lined up to meet Father Christmas.

The event was very busy despite it only being mid November. Everyone seemed to be in the Christmas spirit already. The centre was filled with beautiful white and silver, shimmering decorations from the high ceilings to the benches situated throughout and with the fairy lights twinkling away it looked like an icy winter wonderland. The main attraction next to the grotto was a big display of moving, fluffy animals; penguins, polar bears, reindeer etc simulating a snow ball fight, waving and seemingly chomping on a bucket of carrots. It was cute to say the least.

Strolling through the bustling shoppers and families, Nicky and his colleague kept an eye out for any trouble as they approached the grotto. Catching the blonde's eye was the 5 foot 9 elf laughing at a little boy that told a rubbish festive joke. He squinted as he walked by with a confused look on his face, causing his colleague to ask what was wrong. But Nicky shrugged it off. There's no way it could have been Shane!