Chapter 9

Step 4. Now you're full up and raring to go, visit O'Keefe's travel for Santa's gift to you, ho ho ho.

"What have you done now Nicky?" Shane smiled wondering what adventure he was going to be sent on next. There's no way Nicky paid for a holiday. Must be a coach trip to one of the Xmas markets in Ireland.

"Hello sir, how can I help today?" the agent welcomed Shane inside and offered him a seat.

"I've no idea. I'm here for step 5."

"Ah, lovely. Shane is it? You're a very lucky guy. We know officer Byrne quite well. He's a dish." The lady drooled. "Here is your envelope. I believe you're close to the end now. Are you excited to see him?"

"Absolutely." Shane beamed, opening the next step to find another envelope inside separate to the task. "Step 6. She may not believe but it'll be such a blast, to visit the reindeer and Santa for memories that last. Open the gift that's come from me then get to the central 50 foot tree." Shane revealed the ticket information and his jaw dropped. "No way. Is this real? Like, we're actually going to Lapland?"

"Congratulations, you'll have a wonderful time. Good luck."

Shane was in shock. Why would someone he's only just met go to such trouble to make him happy? It all seemed too much but he didn't want to look the gift horse in the mouth and shot off to the main city Christmas tree in search of the next clue.

Playing over the tannoy was Bing Crosby's White Christmas as fake snow was floated from the top of the tree to create a festive atmosphere for photo opportunities. The lights were sparkling despite it being day time and 2 men dressed as nutcrackers from the local theatre production stood behind a rope barrier holding a gold envelope with step 7 written on it and the other holding two flutes of prosecco.

When Shane spotted them he looked around to see some people staring, waiting for the finale to unravel after asking the purpose of the nutcrackers. He was more nervous than he'd ever been in his life but he opened the last envelope and took a deep breath.

The final step. You've made it to the end, there's only one thing left to do. It's make me the happiest guy alive by just being you. You're priceless and gorgeous, I want you to see, you're everything I need, you're perfect to me. Take the bubbly and bring it right round, I'm stood here with mistletoe, north star bound.

The beer tent on the other side of the tree was called the North Star and Nicky was waiting anxiously for Shane to walk round to find him, shivering his baubles off, covered in potato flake snow.

The second Nicky saw the crowds faces light up, he knew Shane was walking to him with the flutes in his hand. As he swallowed the saliva in his mouth he looked up to see his date close to tears.

"You found me then." Nicky grinned, taking a glass for a sip.

"You are unbelievable do you know that?" Shane smiled. "Lapland? It's too much."

"Sshh, nothing is too much for you. I want you... Do I get you now?"

"You got me a long time ago." He winked and threw the mistletoe from Nicky's hand before wrapping his arms around his neck to kiss him for everyone to see.

The crowd cheered and applauded as the boys shared their first kiss which advanced pretty quickly.

"God you're a good kisser." Shane chuckled, biting his lip as they ignored their audience.

"I'm a god in bed too." Nicky winked.

"What's the paper for?"

"You don't remember? That my darling is your fancy dress costume and I can't wait to rip it off you this Christmas."

"Nicky, this is amazing. You're amazing. But I didn't need all this. All I need is you. All I want is you."

"You've got me babe and I am never going to let you feel worthless ever again. I think I'm falling in love with you already."

"Beat you then... Merry Christmas officer Byrne."

"Merry Christmas baby. Here's to the first of every other Christmas to come." Nicky placed both their glasses on the floor before scooping Shane up in his arms to kiss him again, happy they'd finally made it.

"Does this mean I have to add you on Facebook now?" Shane laughed.

"You better. And the relationship status is changing right away!"