Chapter 8

Once his Tuesday shift began, Shane tried to perk up and leave his troubles behind but Colin aka Santa sensed his low mood whilst tightening his costume belt behind the scenes.

"Come on lad. Did it not go well yesterday? At the hospital weren't ye?"

"No... I lied and consequently lying is what got me into this mess. I've ruined everything Colin... With that guy I told you about."

"Oh? How so?"

"Doesn't matter. I'll be OK, I..." Shane stopped as he looked out the curtain to see the centre's guards for the day. "Wh... Is that... Fuck."

"Huh? Shane?"

"This is the last thing I need." Shane grunted unable to take his eyes of the pretty blonde guard as his colleague made him laugh. "That's him... Oh my god, he's stunning."

"Earth to elf. We open in 10 minutes." Santa chuckled, taking to his thrown to get comfy.

"I can't do this. I can't... No, I'm sorry Colin, you'll have to call Grace to cover all day. I can't be here." Shane began to panic, sweating at the prospect of being laughed at or scowled at by Nicky as he walked past once every hour on patrol of the shopping centre. "I have to go."

"You can't just take off." Colin whined but he could see Shane was distressed. "Go get some fresh air. I'll stall for you."

"Sorry mate. I can't do this. I'm done." Shane threw his elf ears and hat to the floor and ripped off the top half of his suit to reveal a black t-shirt underneath.

Just as Shane broke free from the grotto and began to run to the managers suite to collect his coat, Nicky and his copper friend poked their head in to see what was going on.

"My little helper has spat his dummy out by the look of things. He was mumbling about yesterday not going well and he seemed to see someone then he bolted." Santa explained.

Nicky nodded and clenched his lips tight, assuming Shane had recognised him this time. "Oh dear. Hope he's OK. What you gonna do now?"

"Manage until someone else gets here. Could you let management know please. In case he doesn't explain his actions."

Nicky took on the task and rushed up to the office in search of Shane. The lift was making its way up already so the cop took two steps at a time and tried to race to the top, pressing the buttons of every level in an attempt to stall the lift but when it reached the top, only a security guard stepped out.

"Haven't seen a half dressed elf have ye?" Nicky grinned.

"Think he ran outside. Problem?" the guard asked.

"No it's fine. Thanks. Just tell the boss their elf is unavailable for work today and Santa said he needs cover. Cheers."

As Nicky made his way back down the stairs, Shane had finally got into the lift and they passed on the stairs without knowing. Shane had decided to quit under pressure and blamed himself for creating such a mess. When Nicky accepted he'd missed the brunette he tried to call but Shane refused to answer, letting it ring out twice until he turned off his mobile. He didn't want to talk to anyone, least of all Nicky. So the blonde waited at the bottom of the stairs where Shane had no choice but to come face to face with him.

As the lift doors reopened, a tearful Filan stepped out, wiping his cheeks. When he looked up at Nicky he was like a deer in headlights.

"Nicky?"

"Yeah. It's me." Nicky smirked kindly. "Shane I'm so sorry."

"Forget it. I have to go." Shane sniffed, trying to swerve by the cop towards the exit but Nicky jumped forward with his arm out. "What?!" Shane snapped.