Origins - Chap 6

Origins - A Skase / Evershall Story - Chapter 6

The train arrived at the station in Heartland. Skipper was there to pick them up.

"Enjoy your visit?" said Skipper. "I was half worried that you wouldn't come back."

"I'll admit it's hard to leave them," Cinder said softly, "But part of me will always be with the department, I have so much invested."

"Yeah, I'll admit," said Smudge, "I could very much see myself staying in Adventure Bay. They have a comradery that I don't think could ever be matched. Duplicated maybe, but never matched."

"I also saw the news clips," said Skipper, "Great work you two. I, of course, let it slip to the muckrakers, as Marshall likes to call them, that you would be returning today at 1300."

"Um Skipper, it's noon," Cinder stated softly.

"Oh, my mistake," laughed Skipper, "let's get out here before someone decides to show up early."

They laughed and walked out to Skipper's command SUV for the ride back to the station.

***

They arrived at the station and walked into the office. Skipper walked over and turned a white board around showing the aerial view of the Adventure Bay Truck Stop.

"I received your report Chief Cinder," said Skipper, "But for training purposes. Walk me through your initial and later attacks. And most importantly, details of your brother's ultimate fire truck."

Cinder began drawing out the initial hose lays and attack. She explained that what was initially called in as a small kitchen fire upon arrival turned out to be what Heartland Fire Rescue would refer to as a three or more alarm fire. She further explained that the ultimate rescue vehicle actually breaks down into multiple additional apparatus including an air support helicopter with aerial fire support.

"What I wouldn't give for plans to that beast of a fire truck," said Skipper. "I'm not sure if we could recreate something like it."

Smudge remembered the thumb drive, "You're in luck. Rocky gave me a copy of their operations guide and specifications on all the vehicles. Here."

"Like I said," laughed Skipper, taking the thumb drive, "we may never be able to recreate the technology but it is either looking at specs or next time you go see your brother I'm coming with you."

"You know you would be more than welcome," Cinder said softly. "Marshall would be ecstatic to see you again."

"Well I might just take you up on that," said Skipper. "Now let's look at this truck."

They were looking at the trucks and then Skipper had just started going through their operational procedures when the station tones began dropping for a structure fire with possible trapped victims.

"Well, vacation is over," said Skipper, "Suit up, Smudge, you have command."

"M-me?" sputtered Smudge.

"You're ready," Cinder replied softly. "I'll be right beside you if you need me."

They responded to the scene. It was a three floor apartment building. Prior to their arrival Smudge had called each of the inbound units to provide assignments. Smudge pulled a paw pad out of his pack and began scrolling through selecting a top down satellite image of the building. He quickly began adding icons for the apparatus and a talley board for the personnel.

"No time for video games, Smudge," Skipper said, nudging him.

"It's not," said Smudge, turning the Paw pad so Skipper could see. "This is an overall view of the scene showing surrounding exposures. I have the placement of the apparatus and the location of crews identified. As we come to benchmarks, It will remind me if I haven't entered PAR yet. I can add incoming units and see the hydrants in the area, their flow rates as well as areas I can stage apparatus if need be."