Just Jay

A/N

This one is a bit on the shorter side.

To be real with you, after TCB, I feel like the rest of my fics will be a bit inferior. So... I really hope you're enjoying this one, even if it's not the grand romance TCB was. I'll never be able to surpass that.

Enjoy <3

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I wake up in my bed, feeling... I don't know, honestly. I'm under the blankets, I'm warm, the room is dark... Maybe just a bit dizzy. Kai is nowhere to be seen.

I bury my head in my pillow and close my eyes. Okay, so I accidentally took drugs by some weird old lady and I'm paying for it. Great. Now I can just continue to sleep and move on with my life. So much for those school events against drugs.

In hindsight, it's a bit funny. What did I expect going in there? I don't know, but I guess I got what I deserved. I just hope she doesn't hunt me down for not paying her.

I sigh deeply and lift the pillow off my face.

But when my eyes open, I'm met with a dorky smile.

"Hi."

I yelp again and bump my head against the wall. Nope, this isn't a dream.

The ghost (spirit? Whatever this thing is) floats over my bed, crossing his arms as he looks down at me awkwardly.

"You might want to stop bumping into things so much," he tells me. I shoot him a glare and he backs down.

"What are you?" I finally say. I try to stand up but an invisible force pulls me back down. It's clearly him doing it.

"Your brother said you shouldn't get up this fast," he tells me.

I raise an eyebrow. "Can Kai see you?"

He shakes his head. "I think only you can... Believe me, I tried... But he also told you that you should rest, so..."

I groan, bringing my knees closer to my chest just to bury my face in them. "You're not real," I say, mainly to myself.

"... Thanks?"

"Can I just... have some time alone? You can pass through walls if you're a ghost, go hide in them or something."

His hands start fidgeting as an awkward chuckle escaped his lips. "About that..."

"What?"

"I tried to leave before you first saw me... I can't."

I feel my shoulders tense. "What do you mean you can't?"

"I can't! I don't know why, it's like there's an invisible barrier if I go too far."

I lay back down. He floats above me, staring down at me with guilt.

Kai knocks on the door. He tries to hide even though he knows he can't see him.

I hiss a little when the light is turned on. The boy next to me chuckles, joking about something involving vampires. I can't glare at him without Kai noticing.

"Feeling better?" Kai asks me, sitting down on the edge of my bed. He puts his hand over mine, his brows creased with worry.

I regret not returning the gesture. "Yeah."

He smiles a little. "Good. That's good." He chooses his next words carefully. "Why didn't you tell me you skipped school?"

I cross my arms. "You didn't tell mum and dad when you skipped school."