A Herd of Nerds

A/N

Sorry this had to be a bit delayed, hope you enjoy! I don't have much news to share, so... the usual, I guess.

You'll get some lore this chapter, so if you have any predictions/ideas, let me know!

Enjoy <3

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I arrive home defeated. Jay hasn't really been speaking; maybe it's for the best.

It's already gotten dark outside. It's still afternoon, but I suppose that's what comes along with winter.

I hear no sound coming from Misako's apartment across the hall. I guess Lloyd is in our apartment too.

Sure enough, our apartment is louder than usual. I unlock the door not to find only Kai and Lloyd, but also Zane and Cole, Kai's friends. They're all playing video games in front of the TV.

Well, kind of.

"Give me the controller!" Lloyd whines as he tries to wrestle Cole and steal it, but all Cole has to do is raise his hand to prevent him from reaching it. Eventually, he grabs Lloyd with one arm and throws him off the couch on top of a pile of pillows on the floor.

Kai laughs while Zane scolds Cole, but the moment their eyes land on me, the room is silent. All I can do is awkwardly stand there, feeling more vulnerable than I'd like to admit.

Their smiles eventually return. "Welcome home, Nya," Zane says first, getting up to politely greet me. I forgot just how tall he was; Jay is surprised as well.

Nevertheless, he's the least intimidating person I know (maybe aside from Jay). I shake his hand gladly, then raise an eyebrow at the others.

Cole waves at me while Kai simply maintains his smile before turning back to the game. Neat.

I feel a tug on my arm. I look at Lloyd curiously.

"Nya, tell them to let me play or else I'll put ketchup in their shampoo!" Lloyd complains once more. Jay looks at me inquisitively. So much for keeping him out of my life.

I kneel down to his level, grabbing his shoulder. "Are you staying the night?" I ask.

"Yeah, and mum wouldn't let me sleep at Brad's! And now they won't let me play."

My brow quirks up as I look at Kai. "Where's Misako?" I ask.

Kai shrugs, not turning away from the screen. I can't help but notice his movements on the controller becoming more tense. "Working again, I guess. Big day for the museum tomorrow according to her."

I sigh, looking at Lloyd. "Wanna sleep in my room? I can set you up with a movie. And... I think we have some spare popcorn."

That's all it takes for his face to light up. But, being Lloyd, he still has some requirements. "Can we watch a Starfarer movie?" he tells me. "And, can I watch it with you?"

There go my plans to sit and mope all day about the fact that I'm stuck with a ghost.

"Sure."

Lloyd is quick to turn to the others and stick out his tongue. "See, I get a date and you don't. That's what you get for not letting me play!"

I can feel my cheeks heating up from embarrassment. I bury my face in my hands and groan. I just want the whole ground to swallow me whole right now.