A Will to Live

A/N

Okay, so I may or may not be making the rest of the story in Jay's POV. You don't mind, right?

Enjoy :)

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

It's still raining outside, although at this point it's a light drizzle. Instead of the morning sunshine I was hoping would cheer us up, we simply got a light grey sky and some rain. Neat.

... It also means I can't go outside until the rain stops. The rain felt so fun when I was a human. I almost forgot that it could kill me as a ghost.

I couldn't stand to see Nya's face when she properly woke up (which was indeed tired and teary) so I did the best I could to give her some space. I can't go very far, anyway.

So, here I am, staring out the window, sitting on a table like an idiot.

"Jay?" Nya keeps calling out for me sleepily. I don't respond.

There's this nagging feeling in the back of my head that Nya doesn't like me, after all. She was annoyed by me from the start, and, well... she would've already broken the bracelet if she really wanted me alive, right?

I feel selfish for even thinking that! I know that if someone asked me to tear apart Mr Cuddlywomp I would be just as hesitant.

I love Nya, even if it sounds weird to say out loud (at least to her). I don't want to be alive, I just want to be a part of her life; hang out with her friends, Lloyd, go on dates, school. Her school seemed so big and cool, nothing like the homeschooling I sometimes did with mum.

She's not the type to want me to feel sorry for her. Still, I can't help but feel that way. She's not weak or helpless or anything of the sort; she just needs help.

I need that help as well, yes, but it's not my main focus. If I couldn't save my mum from all the negativity around her, I can at least try to make Nya happy. The power of positive thinking.

She enters the room and sighs.

"You don't need to do this," she says, taking a chair to sit near the table. I now realise I look a bit ridiculous.

But no, my blue head and beaded black eyes continue to aimlessly stare out the window.

Nya nudges me, and I almost fall over. I pick myself back up and continue pondering. Having fingers would really help right now.

She taps my shoulder again. I turn towards her, but my snout is kinda blocking the view. I turn towards the window.

"You're gonna make me out to be crazy for talking to a plushie like that," she says.

Yeah, maybe possessing Mr Cuddlywomp of all things wasn't the best idea.

She picks me up and forces me to turn around. I don't move, so my limbs go limp in her grasp. She looks into my eyes carefully, as if she's trying to discover any hint of life within them.

I finally try to speak, but she pulls me into her arms and I'm suffocated. I don't mind it, though; for one, I like her hugs, and, well... I can't die anyway at this state.

However, when one of her tears lands on top of Mr Cuddlywomp's head, it feels like an entire burn going through my body. I hiss in pain and I'm ejected from the plush.

"There you are," Nya says. She rubs her eyes slowly. "Sorry. I couldn't help it."

"It's okay, wasn't your fault." I take Mr Cuddlywomp from her hands and place him safe and sound in her backpack. Next to it, I see a (they're called mobiles, I think?) phone. I'm a bit confused by what I'm seeing, but I can see a bubble that says 'missed calls'. I think the contact is Kai, but I'm not sure.