Girl Talk

A/N

Again, with these stories where characters are in such drastically different situations, I hope they're not too OOC...

This is a shorter chapter also. Sorry folks, busy days...

Anyway, enjoy <3.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I just don't get how this is possible. I mean, there can't exist two of you in the same universe, it just doesn't work that way!" I throw my pillow to the side, accidentally hitting his torso. "This is outrageous."

He sits at the edge of my bed, getting that look. The look that says he knows he's about to say something dumb, but he's gonna say it anyway. "Well, if my body was fried, then technically my first body is just ashes. So now I get this new version of my body! Same beauty, but upgraded."

Bragging aside, it's not too bad of an explanation... If only Mystaké had just given me one clear answer.

I don't mean to pop Jay's happy bubble, I really don't. But we have to think realistically. "Don't get too used to it. Mystaké said she doesn't know exactly when you'll turn into a ghost again."

He waves his hand dismissively, leaning back towards me. "I mean, no biggie. You can just free me, right?"

As if I didn't have another thing to worry about. I've been trying not to think about it for the past few hours, but... it's inevitable. "Just... enjoy it while it lasts," I end up mumbling, rubbing my bracelet awkwardly. He looks at me and frowns, dropping the subject. Maybe it's for the best.

The sun is already starting to set. All I want to do is sleep and forget about everything.

... Kai knocks on the door. I curse internally.

It's one thing to explain to him why Jay was in my room and with me since morning, it's another to announce that he'll be sleeping in our house because he's a homeless ex-ghost. But where else am I supposed to take him?

Jay's back straightens when Kai enters. He's even more on edge than he was on the car ride.

Kai looks at him and raises an eyebrow. "He's still here?"

I glare at him. "Yes. He'll be staying the night."

Kai's eyes widen for a moment, but then his expression stiffens. He looks at me for an excuse, some sort of follow-up, but I'm left with nothing.

"Termite infestation," Jay quickly says. I want to facepalm, but I can't. "I live on the outskirts of town and man do termites like to hang out there and... infest."

Kai sighs. "Fine. Call your parents and tell them you're staying with us."

How did Kai get into college again? That's the oldest trick in the book.

I feel Jay's back slouch beside me. He thinks on what to say for a moment, coming to a realisation that I hoped would hit him later. "I don't have any parents," he says. "At least not anymore."

Kai's face softens. If Jay wasn't like us then, he surely is now. He's just as lost as I am. It feels weird to admit.

I reach out to comfort him, but Kai gets to it first.

"The guys are coming over if that cheers you up," he says. It certainly does not cheer me up, as we're supposed to be keeping a low profile... But Jay seems happy about it, and that's enough.