Midnight Solace

A/N

Continuing with the Jay POV this chapter since you liked it. This should be a big one. You're either gonna hate the concept or love it lol.

Enjoy <3

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

By the time we arrive, the rain has only gotten worse. With no umbrella to my name, I thank Ed n Edna (who each give me a much-needed hug) before I head off. I get this empty feeling as I watch them leave, but I knew it wouldn't be our last encounter.

Being in the rain is... surprisingly calming. As a ghost, I was so scared of touching any liquid of the sort. I was so scared that it was going to rain, that I would have to explain to Nya that we couldn't go outside unless we wanted me to melt away like a witch. I forgot how light rain feels, and not like a pile of heavy bricks hitting your deceased spirit.

I reach the house on the hill. I would consider myself pretty fit, but... wow, I do not miss getting tired from running.

The shop itself is empty, lacking any of its stock or lighting. However, I spot a lit-up window further inside. I sigh in relief knowing at least someone is home. I just hope it's the person I'm looking for.

I knock on the door. No response.

I knock harder. Again, nothing. I feel the urge to go up to that window and knock on it, but I dread running again.

Before I decide to give in, it finally opens, and I'm greeted with a sight that makes the entire trouble worth it.

I don't know what it is, why my heart beats so fast, why I can't get enough of talking to her (or heck, even just looking at her). But seeing Nya in front of me again, dressed in a way I've never seen her before (that compliments her tenfold, for the record) is... It feels nice. I feel warm inside just seeing her.

The fact that I look like a wet dog by comparison definitely does not boost my confidence, but I'm not letting it stop me.

"I like your dress," I tell her with my best smile.

Throughout all this, she's wearing an unsure frown. "It's a cheongsam," she corrects me, making my cheeks redder than her, as I learned, cheongsam.

"Well, you look pretty either way!" It comes out more like a nervous exclamation (which I curse at myself for) but considering her face is as red as mine, I did something right.

I try to go in for a hug but she steps out of the way. I thought it would cheer her up, but apparently not.

"What are you doing out in the rain?" she says.

"I came to find you because I got worried," I admit. "I know I'm not allowed inside, but I can stay on the porch, I don't mind."

"I'm not going to leave you out here, I'm not that crazy." She opens the door further, allowing me to come inside. "But no touching."

"Yes, ma'am."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I fall back on the bed with a bounce, but I don't get to enjoy the comfort before Nya brings me a packet of chips.

"I brought snacks from home," she says. I thank her with a nod.

She paces around the room awkwardly, avoiding making eye contact or even looking in my general direction. I frown.

"How come there's only one bedroom here?" I ask.

"Mum and dad weren't considering kids when moving in here. That's why we moved into a bigger house in Ninjago City." She smiles a little, and it makes me do the same. "Kai and I would always get sleeping bags when staying here. Or just sleep with mum and dad on the bed as one big sleepover."