Summertime sadness

A/n: Grell would absolutely be an LDR Stan and you cannot convince me otherwise. Also gender ambiguous reader for this one and TW for suicide and SH. We explore reapers deaths in this one.

The sweltering heat was starting to drive you mad, your work uniform that consisted of a blazer and long pants was starting to make you drown in sweat. So before you left to reap the afternoons souls you disobeyed the dress code and changed into much cooler clothes, no one bothered to reprimand you either. They were all also too hot to care.

You really didn't want to be carrying around a heavy scythe in the heat either, but alas work needed to be done. There were only a few souls assigned to you today, and you managed to get them done rather quickly. As the sun started to set, you were practically dying of heat exhaustion so you decided to stop by a bar for a cold drink before heading back.

Down by the harbour there where plenty of bars, they banked on the sailors coming in from a days work and getting some food and a drink before heading home. So unsurprisingly many of the people around the area were all in their sailing uniforms or fishing gear, a few tourists as well. It was hotter inside thanks to the crowds of people, so once you had your drink you headed out to the jetty to try and catch a sea breeze.

Looking out over the water you sighed and sipped your drink.

"Man working in this heat should be a workplace health and safety violation or something..." you muttered to yourself.

The sounds of the waves crashing on the shore in the distance as well as seagulls flying by combined with the chatter from inside the bar was reminiscent of every summer night you had trying to cool down after work. This wasn't the first time you'd broken rules about drinking on the clock to try and cool off. Not like you were getting hammered or anything, just a glass or two with some ice to avoid heat exhaustion.

Below the upper layer of the jetty where you stood leaning against the railing, was a row of docks and boats all anchored to the cleats to make sure none of the boats drifted away. The whole row of docks and boats were empty, everyone being inside the bars. But you did spot one figure sitting at the end of one of the jetties.

How could you not spot it? It was the only red thing in a sea of blue. At first you weren't sure if you were mistaken, but upon a second look your suspicions were confirmed. You knew that red, you knew it anywhere.

Grell.

What was she doing out here? Was she reaping in the same area and the higher ups forgot to mention it? You jumped over the railing and down to the lower layer of docks, managing to not spill your drink all over your clothes in the process. Approaching her she seemed dazed, her long hair had been tied back into two plays and looped to keep it off her neck and stay cool. Each one fastened in place with bows. She'd folded her jacket and put it aside, too hot to wear it. She'd rolled up her sleeves and seemed to have left her waistcoat back in the office. You didn't blame her in this heat, too many layers would suck.

"Oi, redhead" you said.

She snapped out of her daze, turned and looked up at you.

"What the- what are you doing here?" She asked.

"Just finished reaping. It's too damn hot I needed a drink" you replied.

You sat beside her, dangling your feet off the end of the jetty. The sea breeze in this spot was nice, it carried the smell of sea salt and cooled you down a bit.

"Were you reaping here too? Did the higher ups forget to tell us we'd be in the same zone?" You asked.

"No I was the next zone over, but quite frankly I can't be bothered to go back yet. Don't wanna deal with the higher ups" she replied.