1

Today has been exhausting and all I want is to curl up in bed and sleep.

Except, Cardan has other ideas.

"Jude. Jude. Juuuudee. Are you even listening to me?" I mumble a yeah but don't open my eyes.

He scoffs. "Liar. You're falling asleep. I haven't had the chance to speak with you all day and this is how you treat me when I am finally in your presence?"

"Go to sleep."

I hear an overexaggerated gasp and I can already picture the scene before me without opening my eyes. Cardan, with his hand on his chest, mouth open as if I had just told him to cut off his tail, boil it, and shove it in his stupid mouth.

A small smile begins forming on my lips at the thought.

"Fine. If your wish is for me to leave you be, I shall." I hear shuffling and when I open my eyes, I see his back is facing toward me.

Finally.

I shift as well, so my face is away from his back. We both have a lot of things to get done tomorrow so it's best this way.

But not even a minute after I close my eyes, I feel a tail wrap around my thigh.

My eyes jolt open as I look over my shoulder to find Cardans signature smirk staring back at me.

"Cardan, get your tail off me before I cut the thing off in your sleep!"

"How dare you? Threatening my tail is low, even for you, Duarte." He winks, as if my threat was a joke.

He, of all people, should know better than that.

I shove the ugly thing away from me and grab one of the pillows underneath my head and hit him.

"Ow! Oh, we're going there, are we?"

He takes his pillow and smacks me in the face with it, laughing like a toddler.

I can't help the growing smile on my face either, but I go along with it and take both his and my pillow. Dread fills his face as he realizes what I've done.

"Jude, I was only kiddi-"

"Too late," I say as I climb onto his torso. As soon as I'm about to put both the pillows on his face, he grabs my waist and twists us both around so that I'm on the bed and he's on top of me.

"This feels a bit seductive, no?"

"Oh yes, I have dreamed of the way you would look on top of me, kissing every inch of my body until I can't breathe," I say, biting back a laugh.

Cardan takes the bait though, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

He leans down to kiss me and I let him. His tongue enters my mouth and we kiss for a hot minute before his lips move to my neck.

I decide it's now or never.

I grab his wrists and move us both so he's below me and I'm on top. It takes a great deal of effort, considering he's heavier than me.

"Dumbass." I say, smirking while breathing heavily, due to the weight of his body and his kisses.

"Wow. The betrayal." He shakes his head.

I scoff, putting my palms on his chest.

"Please, that was nothing compared to when you literally exiled me."

I move to get off his body but his hands hold me in place.

"Mmm, you're not going to let that go, are you?"

"Not in a million years," I smile as I lean down to press my lips to his.

(ironic considering she's probably not gonna live that long 😹)