4

It was 3 in the morning but I guess this wasn't not normal, considering the Fae are twilight creatures. I had just returned from a 3 day trip for business without telling anyone.

Including Cardan.

I probably should've told him considering he is my husband but I knew if he heard word of it, he would never let me go. The trip was way too dangerous, the type of dangerous where I could've gone and came back with my body parts in boxes. So I left three days ago as soon as I was sure Cardan was asleep.

When I returned just an hour ago, I tried creeping in the house without him finding out, but it didn't work because as soon as I entered our darkened bedroom, there he was, sitting on a chair, staring at me with a cold expression. It was as if he was waiting for me. Like he knew I would be coming back at that exact moment.

We've been going back and forth at each other's necks ever since I got back.

"Why couldn't you tell me? Do you really not trust me after everything we've been through?"

"For the last time, it wasn't about trust!"

"Then what was it about?!" He shouts.

I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and exhale.

When I open my eyes, he's glaring at me from where he stands across the room. I'm seated on the bed and he is half a foot taller than me but Cardan has never intimidated me.

If anything, I'm the one who's intimidating.

"If I told you, you wouldn't have let me go." I say, through gritted teeth.

"You should've told me nonetheless. I thought you went back to the human world. When I found out where you really were, I was terrified, Jude." His voice is significantly softer, slightly trembling. "What was I supposed to tell our subjects? Your sisters? You have a responsibility here, you can't just leave unannounced!"

I'm momentarily surprised by his words. I've been married to Cardan for 3 years now and he has his ways by expressing his love for me but this is intense. Even for us.

"I know, but--"

"And then, a thought occurred to me," he continues, ignoring me. "'What if Jude has gone too far? What if she went and got herself killed?"" His voice cracks and I'm sure the shock is evident on my face. "I couldn't sleep. I couldn't eat. I could barely function, let alone run an entire kingdom by myself!" He's breathing hard and suddenly, I can't find my voice.

"Why don't you understand? I can't lose you, Jude."

Just like that, my heart breaks into a dozen pieces.

"Cardan, I'm-- I didn't mean to hurt you." My voice comes out all breath and I'm not even sure he heard me. I wish I could say more. I want to say more, but I don't know what to say. Instead, I gesture for him to sit next to me. He does and I cradle his head in my arms, kissing the very top.

"I'm sorry," I say, kissing his cheeks and nose before cuddling next to him and falling asleep.