13

inspired by : love story (taylor's version)

alternative universe where it's "strangers in public, lovers in private"

I hear leaves crunching and my head immediately swivels toward the sound. The sound combined with the fear of getting caught creates an awful feeling, deep inside of me.

But once I catch a glimpse of the man who emerges out of the trees, my legs involuntarily take a step forward. Even though we barely have any sort of light source out here in the forest, I am able to pinpoint the exact moment when his eyes find me. His shoulders sag a little, releasing the tension I'm sure my body is mimicking.

"Hi." Cardan speaks.

"You came." I slowly inch my way closer to him, excited but nervous at the same time.

I half-expected him to not show up. He told me he was busy preparing for something confidential. Usually, I would not have cared, but this thing had been taking up most of his time so I rarely got to see him. Part of me thought he started seeing someone else but I quickly diminished the thought, mainly for my own sanity.

The grin I have come to know and love makes an appearance on his face and I wish to reach out and trace his lips.

"Of course I did. Why would I say no to you?" He whispers, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"You have been so busy lately, I didn't think you would actually show."

"Well," Cardan takes a step closer and I feel my breath hitch. "I am here now, aren't I?" His hand extends toward me and a ghost of his touch lingers near my elbow.

He leans down toward my ear before whispering, "Don't be afraid. Touch me. I know you want to." Cardans voice sends chills up my spine. I feel myself leaning in to feel his lips brush mine. A rush of ecstasy runs through me at the slight touch.

Cardans arms wrap around my waist while my palms rest on his chest. He finally closes the distance between us, kissing me with a softness I did not know before I met him. One of my hands goes to his cheek while the other moves near his neck.

Out of nowhere, Cardan dips my body backward.

I gasp, hanging on to him for dear life but he remains steady. He lets loose a slight laugh and I wish to slap him.

"You're going to get us caught, Greenbriar," I whisper-yell.

"Oh?" He leans in closer which only makes me grip the area between his neck and shoulders tighter. "And what if I want to get caught?" By now, I'm sure my cheeks are a deep pink.

I am not an alcoholic, never had a sip, but if Cardan Greenbriar offered me a taste, I wouldn't hesitate to accept. Hell, I wouldn't hesitate to do most things if he was the one asking.

I don't think when it comes to him and that's the part that scares me the most.

He straightens me back up and his expression changes to a more serious one.

"Jude. I..." He seems to have lost his train of thought before clearing his throat. "I am not good with words. You know me better than most. Perhaps you know me best." A small smile begins to form on my face by his awkwardness but it quickly fades as he continues talking. "I am sure by now you know how much you mean to me. How much I love you." His voice cracks at the end and I can feel myself starting to sweat. A million possibilities of what could be happening fly straight to my head.

Is he okay? Is he sick? Does he not want to be with me anymore? Perhaps he is getting tired of all the secrecy? Oh no, what if he wants to make our relationship public?!

The last one scared me more than him not wanting to be together anymore. Mainly because I know my father would have my head if he found out I had been sneaking out to meet Cardan.

I swallowed hard, forcing myself to listen to the rest of what Cardan was saying while I zoned out.

"... ever since I first saw you. It was not hard to tell you were special, and not just because of your human features." A sincere smile paints his lips. "Although, they add to the appeal, of course."

I try to speak but he places a finger in front of my lips, shutting me up.

"Shh, you are not allowed to speak. I have dragged this out longer than need be, anyway." He swallows hard, drawing my attention to his Adam's apple before he kneels in front of me.

What..?

My mind thinks back to all the different mortal storybooks I have read but struggle to find what this stance means. However, before I can ask him what he is doing on the ground, a velvet box appears in his hand.

Wait. Do not tell me he is--

"Jude Duarte. My sweet villian. Will you marry me?"

I hear a choked gasp and realize it came from me.

I squeeze my eyes and pinch my arm. But when I open my eyes, everything is still there. The forest, the gust of wind causing my hair to fly, Cardan on one knee with a ring, looking more nervous than I have ever seen him.

I swallow, hard, still not believing the sight before me.

"Yes. Yes, I will marry you."

A mixture of a laugh and a sob escapes me as Cardan rises to his feet. He places the gold plated ring with an emerald in the middle of it on my finger before picking me up, bridal style.

I wrap my arms around his neck and as he leans in to kiss me, all of my worries start to fade away.

see this is how cardan SHOULD HAVE proposed 🤦‍♀️.