6

inspired by : war of hearts by ruelle

( cardans pov )

I'm sitting on the bed in me and Judes room, finishing an art project I've been working on for a little while now.

It is a model of Madoc's estate. I thought it might help her feel more at home which living in the palace. I can see why she might feel lonely or even afraid to be alone in such a big area.

But the last thing I want is for her to be uncomfortable in her new home.

I add a few finishing touches and stare at it in awe. It looks like I plucked his house from the ground and shrunk it. I can hardly believe I'm the one who made it.

I smile, imagining Judes reaction to it.

I can't wait to show it to her.

I hear the door open and jump up from the couch. I've moved myself and the replica downstairs so Jude can see it as soon as she walks in.

"Jude! Look what I made. It's so you can feel more at--" When I lift my head, I see The Roach and The Bomb staring at me with looks coated in pity.

They share a concerned look and I blink in surprise.

"Oh. Hello. Wasn't Jude with you both? Where is she?"

The Bomb puts a gentle hand on my arm, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Cardan. She's gone. Please stop this," Her voice cracks as she speaks.

And just like that, it all rushes back to me.

Jude is not coming back.

Jude will never be coming back.

Jude is dead.

I crumble to my knees, cradling my gift to her in my arms.

All of the memories come rushing back to me like a tsunami and I'm caught in the water, pulled deep beneath the waves.

She died because I couldn't protect her.

She died because I didn't do the right thing.

She died because I wasn't there for her.

She is dead because of me.

I press the small house closer to me, sinking further into the floor until there is not much farther to go.

I am no longer being pulled beneath the waves.

Now, I am drowning within my own salty tears.

apologies <3