3

"What if we just give them what they want?"

"No. Too risky. Have you seriously learned nothing from watching me?" I try to say in a joking tone but it comes out serious instead.

"You were raised by a redcap who had a strong thirst for war, Jude. I was raised by an abusive brother, a neglective mother and a father who never wanted me." He shrugs as if it's no big deal.

I meant my question as a joke but I guess I still haven't quite understood the concept of what a joke really is or how to properly deliver one. I clear my throat, trying to change the subject without Cardan thinking I don't care about his past.

"If we give them what they're asking for, it could affect us in a negative way. Which is why I think it would be best if we--"

Cardan groans very loudly. I take the nearest thing to my hand which happens to be a wooden figure and throw it at him. "You're the King of Elfhame, Cardan, at least pretend to be interested in this!"

"To be fair, I didn't ask to be King," He pauses, picking up the wooden figure from the floor to further inspect it. "And why should I have to pretend when I have you, my darling Queen, to handle all things political?" He looks at me and winks.

I roll my eyes but can't help my cheeks from turning a light shade of pink.

I hate how his words still affect me so much.

"You need to help me, my disastrous King," I say, trying to match the name he gave me to which he grins. "It has to be a mutual decision, anyway." I turn back to the map, my teeth unconsciously biting my lip.

Moments later, I can feel Cardans chest against my back and his hand on mine. "Just let Grima Mog deal with it, Jude. It's getting late. We should get some sleep, yes?"

I sigh, wanting to take him up on his offer but knowing I can't. "You know I won't be able to sleep if I don't solve this now."

"And you know I won't be able to sleep without you."

I snort. "Since when did you become so needy?"

"Since I started loving you, my sweet villain." He turns me around and I notice his obsidian eyes are full of lust. Cardans lips hover over mine as if he wants me to break the distance between us, so I do.

He kisses me softly then breaks it. He locks eyes with me and bites his lip, his eyes gliding back down to where his mouth was a few moments ago.

Two seconds later, Cardans lips are on mine again and his hands are on my neck. His thumbs brush my jawline, making me shudder. My hands tangle themselves into his pitch-black curls, deepening the kiss.

He's kissing me like I'm the last good thing in the world. Like if he can't have me now, he might completely perish.

He bites my lip, hard. I gasp and he kisses all the way down to my neck then my shoulder, sliding my shirt off my shoulder and--

I hear someone clear their throat loudly. My head snaps to the sound as I quickly step away from Cardan, embarrassed that someone found me making out with the High King even though I'm married to him.

It's Grima Mog and her mouth is shaped like a crescent moon. Her gaze flitters to me and I immediately look away. "Have you ever heard of knocking, Grima Mog? It's this really cool thing that protects others' privacy," Cardan says through gritted teeth but his breaths are uneven and his hair is a mess.

"Sorry to intrude on you and the Queen but perhaps you could move to the bedroom. I have things I need to handle here."

The way she says "move to the bedroom" unnerves me but I try my best to ignore it and make my voice even when I speak. "You know of our current situation, correct?"

She nods. "If you and His Highness wish to retreat to sleep, I wouldn't mind." She winks at me as if she knows we won't be sleeping tonight. "I can show you my ideas tomorrow, if you'd like?"

Before I can say anything, Cardan grabs my hand and speaks, "That would be great, General," He says, practically dragging me to the door but pausing right in front of it. "Oh and, do remember what I said about the knocking. I doubt you'd get off so easily if this happened twice." He laughs as if it's a joke, but the threat underneath his words are as evident as day and I'm sure Grima Mog sees it.

As soon as we're out of the room, Cardan pushes me to the nearest wall. "Where were we?" He mutters, his mouth near my ear.

"On the way to our room, right?" He rolls his eyes, while I laugh and grab his hand.