7

let's all pretend Taryn doesn't exist for the sake of this oneshot

I breathe a heavy sigh, finally happy I'm home again. I don't know when I started considering the palace my "home" but it's as close to one I'll ever get.

After having to deal with The Living Councils bullshit for the entire day, all I want to do is to collapse on my bed and sleep until this tiredness crawls its way out of my body.

Once I enter, though, I notice no light is on and no servants are anywhere to be found.

It's as if I'm stepping into a void.

"Cardan?" My voice croaks out.

When I receive no response, I cautiously walk forward. I make my feet as silent as possible, just how The Ghost taught me.

The knife I had concealed in my sleeve slides down to fit perfectly in my hand.

My breathing starts growing shallow so I pause, focusing on bringing it back to normal.

Just then, the lights flicker on and I hear a collective, "Surprise!"

Vivi, Oak, The Bomb, The Roach, and The Ghost stand before me with birthday hats on and party horns in their mouths.

"Happy birthday!" They all shout at once, Oak giggling

My eyes take a moment to soak in my surroundings. There's party streamers hanging from the high ceilings and I momentarily wonder how they put those up there before my eyes sweep over the rest of the room. A bundle of balloons are tied up at each corner, a few flying away to the top.

A smile I don't have to force appears on my face.

Cardan appears out of nowhere, his mouth shaped into the infamous grin he always has on.

"Happy birthday, Jude. I do hope you enjoy it considering Vivienne made us go back to the mortal lands 5 times, saying she 'missed something.'"

My smile grows upon seeing him and my eyes begin watering.

They remembered.

It's been so long since I've felt this way.

Appreciated by those who I want to feel appreciated by.

Cardan notices my teary eyes but thankfully, doesn't say anything. Instead, he grabs my hand and tugs me toward him. He puts his other hand on my head and places it on his chest. I feel him resting his chin on the crown of my head while I let tears slip, soaking his shirt a little.

Cardan doesn't seem to mind, absently running his hand through my hair while Vivi rambles about how hard it was to find the right decorations to make the palace look as perfect as it does now. I know Cardan notices the knife in my hand because I feel someone take it from me.

But I barely care. All I can think about now is how much effort must have gone into this. How many things they would've had to do to put this together.

Just for me.

'We have lived in our armor for so long, you and I. And now I am not sure if either of us knows how to remove it.'  Cardan had said those exact words to me, so many moons ago.

I raise my head from his chest and press my lips to his. He responds, the hand which was previously stroking my hair coming to rest on my cheek.

Vivi clears her throat very loudly. I break away from Cardan to look at her.

"You don't just kiss your husband while your sister is trying to talk to you, Jude."

My cheeks go pink.