2

It took forever to make Cardan fall asleep but eventually, he did.

Now, it's well past the time we were supposed to be up and he's still asleep.

His chest is to my back so he's spooning me and his arm is draped over my side. To make matters worse, his tail is unconsciously wrapped around my legs so I have no means of escape. I tried to nudge him off me earlier but that only resulted in him moving closer than me. I decide to try again and pick up the arm that is on my waist. His breathing patterns change, indicating he's awake.

Finally.

"Cardan, get up. We have things to do." I say in a demanding tone.

He shakes his head viciously and sinks into the crook of my neck, his tail running up and down my leg.

"Cardan."

"Juuude." He says, face rising from the pillow so I can see him better.

His face is set into that ridiculous grin he always has on and his nose comes as close as brushing mine.

I narrow my eyes, suspicion evident on my face.

"Stay in bed with me, Jude."

My eyes widen, as does my mouth. I use my elbow to shove him hard in his chest. He lands on the bed, wincing from where I hit him.

"Are you trying to glamour me?" I shout.

"What?"

I shake my head, barely believing what just happened. I get up from the bed and head for the door.

"Jude! Jude, I didn't mean to--"

But I slam the door before he can finish his sentence.

Most of the night has flown by and I haven't seen Cardan for the majority of it. Perhaps I have been avoiding him.

But there's no avoiding him now.

I walk as elegantly as possible to the throne room, where Cardan is already seated. I can feel his eyes burn into me but I avoid his gaze and sit down next to him. I can see him in the corner of my eye struggling with what to say and when he finally looks ready to speak, people start flooding in.

The revel has begun.

They come to me and Cardan first, as it is customary to present yourself to the High King and Queen first so he doesn't get the chance to talk to me then, either. I watch as Faeries, different and alike, dance and drink, eat and talk. Some have colored skin, sharp teeth. Some are big, and some are small.

One even has wings which makes me think of how Cardan had once ripped off one of the Faes wings for not bowing down to him.

I shudder at the thought.

I take the goblet a servant is carrying in a golden tray next to me and take a sip. It's plain water, just as I requested. I sneak a glance to Cardan only to see him staring at me too directly which nearly makes me choke.

"Jude? Are you mad at me?"

He looks worried, which only makes me want to wrap my arms around his neck more.

'No, Cardan, I'm furious,' I wish to say. 'How could you try to glamor me? I'm your goddamned wife!"

I struggle to think of a witty response but thankfully, a small hob presents herself to us, so I don't have to respond to Cardan. I hold out my hand for her head to touch. After she leaves, I can feel a heavy gaze on me again. I sigh, knowing this is going to be a long night.

Suddenly, I see a white afro among the crowd and my face lights up.

The Bomb.

I've missed her a great deal ever since her and The Roach started spending more time together. I love them both and I support that they're together now but I haven't seen my friends in a while.