5

( different pov )

As soon as I enter, I see them sitting on their thrones.

The High King and Queen of Elfhame.

They're chatting amongst themselves. Just then Cardan, the King, throws his head back in laughter at something Jude, the Queen, had said. She smiles, watching him laugh.

They look so in love, it makes me want to vomit.

I get a good look at everyone while making my way to greet the King and Queen. There are people doing all sorts of things; drinking, eating, talking, dancing, laughing. A few are even arguing over things like spilt wine.

I consider the Fae to be very stupid creatures. I consider the mortals to be even stupider creatures. Alas, I am a mix of both.

I suppose that makes me the stupidest.

I approach the dais and bow in front of Jude and Cardan. They momentarily pause their discussion to acknowledge me with their hand to my head.

It feels oddly comforting yet annoying all at once.

I turn to walk away then halt.

"Say," I start, turning back around to the rulers of Elfhame. "Would either of you care for 3 riddles?" I grin.

They share a look and Jude asks, "What would we have to give you in return?"

I am quick to shake my head in response.

"Why would I take anything from you, my queen, when you have given me everything I could have ever asked for?" A Faerie answer if there ever was one.

Her eyes narrow but Cardan grins.

"Go ahead," He tells me, which I see slightly bothers Jude.

"First riddle. What has hands but is banished from ever clapping?" I slowly make my way up the dais and closer to the thrones while they think.

I can see The High King's brain working. I make sure the knife strapped to my arm is still concealed while I wait for their response.

"A clock," Jude says. "Next riddle?"

Cardan glares at her. "You're no fun, you know that? I barely had a chance to think."

"Oh, please, you had a whole minute to think."

"Let me answer the next one."

Jude rests her chin on the palm of her hand with a concerned look on her face. "I'm afraid I cannot. For if I do, we might be stuck here all night."

He leans in to whisper something private to her
and when he finally pulls away, her cheeks are a deep shade of pink.

I briefly wonder what he said to her before Cardan speaks.

"Excuse my wife. Next riddle?"

If he can see her glaring at him through the corner of his eye, he does not speak on it.
I clear my throat before continuing, "What can fill a room but takes up no space?"

Cardan repeats my words under his breath, clearly thinking hard on this. I see Jude cover her mouth, trying not to laugh and I wonder what could possibly be so funny. I'm struggling to understand how their relationship works.

Jude, Elfhames first mortal Queen. Cardan, the youngest child of Eldred, who was the former High King. No one would have thought he would ever come to rule but he was left with no choice when the royal family were all murdered in one night.

Mine and many others' question is how did Jude, of all people, convince Cardan to marry her?"
Some think he's under a spell, being commanded by Jude. Others think he's just stupid and I don't entirely disagree with that.