Chapter 1

Have you ever thought of flying through the sky like a bird or bending reality and space with your own will? With Unlimited you can experience a new enhanced life where this and all your dreams become reality.

Start now and embody your unique character to fight monsters, befriend other players or just enjoy yourself in a magic world without the sorrows of your daily life.

For the first time in gaming history the brand new artificial intelligence New Mind will be used to create and continuously expand a truly infinite gaming experience. If you can think of it, it will exist in this ever-growing world of fantasy and epic adventures.

The lightning-fast learning speed of the AI results in a substantial improvement in the genuine game feeling. In combination with the astonishing graphics and the refined sensation-transmission system you will forget that you are in a game.

Play now and be unlimited!

Elion's body trembled with excitement as he watched the release trailer end on the screen.

After six years of waiting, I can finally play it, he thought leaning forward on his desk to behold this beacon of anticipation.

The warm glow of his monitor, displaying Unlimited's logo – a blazing flame flanked by two stars, illuminated the room. The cozy atmosphere was enhanced by the lingering scent of chicken and rice from dinner and the soothing hum of his PC.

The small apartment held only essential furnishings - a wooden desk equipped with study and work material, a tiny kitchen nestled next to the door, a modest wardrobe, a cello and sport equipment in front of small shelves, and a small bed tucked beneath the window.

Elion glanced outside like an explorer in the night sky. However, the stars were replaced by towering skyscrapers waging a luminous battle against the encompassing darkness of the night. Glancing at his phone - 10 p.m. - he dismissed the thought of sleep. Despite eight years of rigorous study to qualify as a quantum and nanotech engineer and his new job at a small tech company, rest was the last thing on his mind. With a free day tomorrow, he couldn't resist the excitement of finally playing the game he'd been waiting for. However, he still felt guilty for breaking his strict polyphasic sleep rhythm that had allowed him to handle the extreme study workload. His dedication had paid off; meeting the stringent requirements earned him a lucrative salary.

A proud smile graced his face as he admired the MindLink, a sophisticated device purchased with his first wage. The intricate silver wire served to directly connect his brain to the game systems enabling a latency-free immersion in the virtual world.

He brushed through his black hair until he felt the warm two by two-centimeter big metal plate at the back of his head, where the connection would occur. At this location, highly advanced nanochips were installed and connected with the whole brain by filaments with a diameter of only few nanometers. The perfectly fitting plate, made of a special metal alloy, allowed a seamless connection without any risk of infection. Initially performed on volunteers, the transplantation has since been perfected and universally administered to all newborns over the last fifty years.

Elion was almost obsessed with this field of science. He had studied the subject of SoNaQ - Software, Nano, and Quantum technology – arguably the most challenging education path one could take. But if you passed the brutal study course very well and made a name in this field you could swim in money and fame.

Sadly, he was not under the best. Nevertheless, he knew every detail about the operation process and the function of the nanochips. It stood as one of greatest achievements of humanity's since it allowed direct communication between the human brain and technology. Furthermore, it enabled the integration of an AI into the human mind. This was done by activating existing chips or adding new ones. The support it could give ranged from typical smart device functions to an immense improvement in memory capacity, calculation power and other cognitive processes. This, in turn, led to a massive acceleration in all fields of science. However, for most people, even the basic features were unaffordable, and the new inventions and medicines were not very affordable. It looked different in the high-level study program he had completed; he was the only graduate without AI support.