Chapter 10

"Stay back, Elion. You might be resilient, but you would only be in our way," Lunaria said as she peeked beside the tree. On their way to the village Galadrima, they traveled through dry scrubs at a safe distance from the street, aiming to avoid the kind of confrontation unfolding before them.

"Show me your goods, or I show you my blade!" a huge bandit threatened the merchant, who sat on his cart, trying to control his weighing horses. Elion analyzed the bandits' stats: Level 43, high strength, and extremely skilled with the broadsword fastened on his back. Across the road, sunlight filtered through the sparse foliage, casting mottled shadows on the ground where six more bandits hid.

From the hill, he could see vast forests surrounding a colorful valley, with flowers adorning the land around the inner forest where Galadrima was located. He imagined the sweet smell his companions had talked about, but for now, all he could smell was the dust of the road and dry scrubs.

He shared the information about the bandits, but his companions neglected the difference in level and number.

"We have a height advantage and the element of surprise on our side," Lunaria whispered and with a sign the adventurers spread on the hill.

As tension thickened around the carriage, a cloaked figure suddenly rose from its shadowy depths, looming beside the human merchant. With a fluid motion, the figure drew forth a gleaming silver sword, its blade catching the sunlight and casting an ominous glint that danced across the serene landscape. At the same time four of the six remaining bandits entered the street and the merchant let out an anxious scream.

Level 47, Elion figured focusing on his guard, how much does a level difference matter in this game? On their way Gwaelas had explained to him that it was not only about the level, but how you use and combine your skills and abilities in combat. Since he grew up in this world he should be right, but five versus one would be though, even when the other bandits were only around level 37. The same as Elions newfound companions.

The guard got off the cart and the bandit boss warned him again: „We will spare your lives, if you surrender." His mates closed the distance to the cart, two holding a crossbow while the others pulled out daggers.

It is not smart to risk your life for strangers, he thought feeling the urge to help his companions. They had travelled for the whole night, and avoided him for the most part, Elyse was still offended by his curiosity in the mind plane. Lunaria and Rahul were skeptical if he could help their team, and Gwaelas openly showed his disapproval. After all the slimes threatened his home. Besides their reluctance they still, it felt great to not be alone.

As the bandit boss drew his broadsword the situation escalated in no time. The hooded guard shed his coat revealing his pale skin and white mane – a dark elf. He was clad in silver armor and with a fluent movement he drew his moon-white sword ready to attack, but then the bandits shot their crossbows. Gwaela's arrow split one, Lunaria's magic deflected another, but two remained. Shattering both with an elegant swing the bright knight dodged the boss's violent swing. He gasped as he saw the giant black blade, his own sword slipping from his grasp. Simultaneously Elions companions entered the fight overwhelming five bandits at once. The bandits screamed in pain gazing at their cut off or arrow pierced limbs. Closely missing the knights head, the boss turned around focusing Elyse who diverted his blow: "Get out of my mind, bloody witch!"

"Come here and force me, great warrior," Elyse baited him standing in her regal posture.

A projectile was fired directly at her head, but she remained calm and transformed into a black mist, so that it passed right through her and drilled a deep hole into the carriage.

The responsible bandit wined as Gwaelas arrow pinned his arm on the ground.

Yelling in anger the juggernaut stomped to her, preparing a great side slash, but Elyse kept calm.