Chapter 8

She faded out the clicking sounds and flashing lights as she strode along the runway. Slow and elegant, majestic with every step and at the same time easy and mysterious. The sleek, obsidian fabric of her gown flowed like liquid midnight around her lithe form, embracing her curves with an air of regal allure. The dress, adorned with subtle yet intricate details, captured the essence of mystery and sophistication. Her perfect silhouette was enhanced by A black corset with masterful black and golden details. The transparent fabric that flowed down her arms gave her the appearance of a mesmerizing shadow. Zoe's poise was magnetic, drawing every eye in the room to the captivating spectacle unfolding on the runway. As she moved, the play of light and shadow accentuated the dress's rich texture, revealing the artistry in its design. The audience was spellbound by the fusion of elegance and boldness as Zoe effortlessly embodied the enchanting spirit of the runway.

She never wanted to model. It was her sister's passion, but as she got trapped inside Unlimited she took her place. Absent minded she did her pose – she slightly lift her dress in a curtsy. Flashing lights, whispering, awing faces. They liked her calm appearance, her thoughtful grey-green eyes. A pond of serenity contrasting the bold and dire world. Her lustrous black hair throned on the side of her head; Intricate knots kept together by golden barrettes.

"Why can't I damage it?" her sisters voice asked inside her head.

Within a second Zoe connected to Unlimited while holding her bow.

A part of her entered the virtual world, sensing it from Lunarias perspective. The Mindweaver Abilities of her game character Elyse allowed her to attach to her sister's character and buff here while she was offline. In addition, she paid for a service that enabled her to wirelessly communicate with Unlimited. It was useless for most players, because it did not allow full immersion, but it allowed her to help her sister without having much time. As she gazed into the world of Unlimited she could see a slime blocking the entrance to a cave. Lunaria had tried to attack it without success.

"Wait a moment I need to focus." Elyse answered her sister and ended her pose. She had held it for far too long, one could criticize, but the audience loved it. It simultaneously exhaled as she turned away, with a grace akin to elves.

"I can't read its stats – wait, it is a player", she realized while gliding back the walkway.

"Can it speak?"

Zoes palm started to sweat through this odd discover – a player with the slime race. How did he survive in this habitat? Why did he block the entrance? She tried to stay calm taking step after step. However, the thoughtful movement of her eyebrows betrayed her. A few more meters and flashes and she entered the backstage. Two other models approached her to ask about her performance, but she blocked them away, sitting down on a chair and closing her eyes.

She saw the world from Lunaria's point of view. The slime wobbled around as if trying to communicate but it only produced a funny blob.

"Open your mind to me and we can communicate telepathically," Elyse said with Lunarias voice. She became curious about the slime's intentions. Inside the game and with more focus the plane of minds resembled another dimension with thoughts dancing like colorful spirits. But with the limitations of the remote access the experience was simplified and streamlined for practical purposes. It was more like stepping into a person's house for conversation. Though this slime did not let her in. It only peeked through a tiny window sending carefully crafted messages.

"You should not enter this dungeon. Its boss is level 122; I lost to him already," the slime transmitted. Elyse shared his thoughts with Lunaria who lowered her sword in confusion.

"But this is a level 36 dungeon. This slime is fooling us!"

"He speaks the truth. I have to go now; the sooner I get home, the sooner I can join you." Zoe finished the session right as Mr. Rameau addressed her:

"You were fantastic, I've already received messages from the critiques; how are you doing this?" Zoe cut him off with a fierce stare. She was a talented model and started to like the craft, but she did it to support her family; and to save her sister.

"We'll talk later ... Seraphine," Mr. Rameau ended the conversation, knowing that she was not in the mood.

It was almost funny. She, Zoe, was performing under the name of her dead sister Seraphine, and nobody noticed. Her sister that she only called Lunaria inside Unlimited, where she was Elyse. A doppelganger with a double life. They had changed the brand of Seraphine Lumiere to fit more with Zoe's personality and luckily, the fans supported the transformation. She even became more famous than her sister, but she would not tell her. Shaking her head, she slapped away the hand of the man who had helped her getting dressed earlier.

"Thanks, I can take it off by myself," she said. After loosening the corset, she peeled out of the fabulous dress. On her way out of the fashion show, she was almost in mourning for this elegant growth. This is not my world, but the dresses; Omg I love them.

Despite slipping out the back door and opting for a nondescript ensemble of jeans and a hoodie, Zoe found herself swarmed by paparazzi as she made her exit. They already knew that she would go early and took the chance to photograph the uprising model. Unaffected by the flashes and yells she stride to the limousine which waited for her. Two bodyguards split the crowd for her and blocked the interviewers' microphones.

"Thomas from Vogue, what were you thinking on the runway?"

"New York Times, what do you say to the demonstrations against MindSoft?"

"Seraphine! Your fans want to know if you player Unlimited!"

Yes I do. I have to. To save my sister.

How did she become so famous so fast Zoe pondered entering the luxurious car. She would rather walk to her hotel, but Mr. Rameau insisted her to follow some rules. It was dangerous to walk the streets, especially if you had money. The bodyguards shut the door, and Zoe could enjoy the silence for a moment. After her sign the driver maneuvered though the people. It as a marvel that nobody got hurt, since some tried to block the car. Arriving at the main street her butler tried to distract her: "Miss Lumiere, do you have a wish for dinner?"

His attempt failed miserably as Zoe gazed out the window. A group of demonstrators on the other side of the street were brutally arrested by London Police. She could not hear their screams though the thick car windows, but the signs they raised explained the situation:

"Righteousness will win!" on a shield depicturing a blue scale.

"Unlimited Genocide" written in red with black pictograms, resembling hanged people.

"MindSoft killed my Husband!" held by a crying mother holding her child. The demo had been emotional but peaceful, till they got broken by brute force. The police tried to cover the scene with their cars and big screens, but Zoe had seen enough. She bit her lip, holding back the heat that raised in her.

"Innocent fighting for their friends, their relatives..." she murmured into her folded hands."

"Be carful with your words, Miss. MindSoft hears everything, and you need this job," her butler Rupert gave her a concerning look in the rearview mirror. Zoes face darkened. He was right, without money her sick mother would die. And her sister... first she had to survive in this virtual prison, but how could she release her?

Thesilence in the car, combined with the riots on the street gave the ride an oppressingtaste. As they arrived at their six-star hotel blustering rain washed away the misdeedsof the modern world, reconstructing its shiny facade.