Chapter 12

"I still cannot believe that no alliance sent us help," Gwaelas said in face of the upcoming battle. He knew that the beast riders' prisons all around Elysium leaked monsters, but his hope for support only perished in this moment. At least the people who called themselves players had entered the world. Without them the evil would have won already, he thought as they went around their attack target. He spotted the first enemies while keeping in the shadows of the trees. Sunset had started and engulfed the land in a ruddy veil. The mountain peaks, covered in snow glittered as the last sunrays gave away to the white glittering of Kalypso.

White letters appeared on his bow, as the soft gleam shined through the clouds.

He looked at Lunaria who inhaled the fresh night air. Her white hair glowed in the moonlight, showing the presence of Selene's might. She made a sign to enter their combat positions, a diamond formation with her at the front and him as the rear guard. With his improved senses he made out the slimes hidden behind the stones. He lit up his arrows with the fire mark and channeled the moon energy of his bow as he tensioned the bowstring. Like shooting stars three arrows shot through the darkness setting the slimes ablaze on impact. The battle for their lives has started. He sprinted around the battlefield, dodging potential threads before they could arise and pierced one slime after the other. Suddenly a rock he used for height advantage moved and almost grabbed his feet. He jumped in the sky shooting at it, but the arrow shattered on the armored fiend.

I can't harm them. What shall I- ? he thought as a deafening blow numbed his ears. A three-meter-long spear pierced the slime with a brutal force and a familiar slime rolled to his side. He wanted to thank Elion, but he consumed his prey like a small candy and kept slaughtering more slimes. Since the place around him was cleared Gwaelas observed the situation on the other hillside. The night was filled with flickering flames and holy light, a mesmerizing dance with brutal impact. He could smell the burning slimes from here and the lights enlightened the ground and mountains like thunder. The striking chaos was a stark contrast to his companions fighting style. Expect from Elions blast attacks, the deadly moon dance of Lunaria, the cloaked strike of Rahul and the mind magic from Elyse were barely noticeable.

Elion had slain docents of his conspecifics as an intrusive thought escaped his prison, besides the effort he made to hold them back: Slay your companions, too. They rebel against MindSoft, the company that saved the world and keeps the peace.

Knowing that it originated from the manipulation he had to endure, he could block the thought but the short moment of distraction opened him for another attack.

"You will turn sides now and catch the adventurers. When you get all of them their level shall be enough, and I see our contract as fulfilled."

A surge of dread threatened to drown him as the king slime's command invaded his mind, compelling him to betray his companions. Despite his best efforts to resist, his body moved of its own accord, his will overridden by the overwhelming power of the slime monarch. His heart sank as he realized the extent of his predicament. With his level vastly increased from countless battles, and an abundance of skill points at his disposal, he knew that facing him and the salt slime would be a futile endeavor for his unsuspecting comrades. Helpless against the king slime's control, Elion's focus turned to Lunaria, the leader of their group.

"We'll start with the leader," the king slime's voice echoed in his mind, sending a chill down his spine. "I want to see her struggle in your grip."

"Oh no..." Elion's thoughts raced within the sealed-off part of his mind, and he lost control of his own body. Had he consumed too many slimes under the king's influence, strengthening its hold on him? Such thoughts offered no solace in his current plight; he needed to find a solution, and quickly. If he didn't act, his companions would pay the ultimate price. At least it did not know he had his skill points left besides the experience drain it had performed on him.