All I Ask Of You~ (12)

Spencer Reid's Point Of View:

Weeks had passed since the night Clara crawled in bed with me and I admitted to her that she kept all my nightmares away. Every night since she spent it with me, because I needed her. I needed her to comfort me, because most of my nightmares nowadays were surrounded by her. It was a lot easier sleeping knowing she was right next to me, in my arms than down the hall where something could happen to her.

This job caused worrying, constant and painful memories of people who had lost their own loved ones and just thinking about it caused me to subconsciously to tighten my arms around Clara's small frame. I needed this girl to be in my life and to be safe because I loved her more than I had ever loved anyone else.

My team knew it too, every investigation we were on she went. She had graduated and I knew before that this would happen. That she would partner up with my team, and I would protect her regardless to anything I would make sure she was safe. I would never forget the conversation Morgan and I had on the jet back to Washington.

“You love her.” He stated, and I looked down at the table not able to meet his eyes. She was less than ten feet away from me, sleeping on the couch that lined part of the jet. I couldn't tell if she really didn't look as happy as she usually did when she was sleeping in my arms or if that was what I wanted to see. “Seriously kid, you don't need to be ashamed. I get it,” Morgan insisted, reaching over a clamping his large hand on my shoulder. I slowly looked up at him, so he could see how hopeless I was.

“You've already bothered me enough with this mindless chatter. Isn't that enough?” I asked, hoping to change the subject.

“That was over a year ago, and I was kidding. Well, not really kidding but not meaning it as much as I do right now. It isn't a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, just know... this isn't the best place for a loved-one. You know the complications I don't need to tell you, just. Be careful.”

I knew what he was getting at, even if I played stupid that night. He knew that if anyone bad happened, on or off the job that my life was nothing compared to hers.

This morning was no exceptions to the feelings I had been feeling lately. Even though she keeps the nightmares away when I'm sleeping she can't keep the horrible thoughts of something bad happening to her. Like an unsub getting his hands on her, her getting hurts, anything. This isn't a job for her, even if she thinks otherwise. I tried quietly and motionlessly to untangle myself for her so she could keep sleeping. I pictured leaving her a note telling her that she just looked too peaceful to disturb but I didn't get that far.

Before I could even leave the room, Clara sat up. “Work time?” She smiled excitedly, the only reason she still willingly got up to go to this job was because she hadn't seen all the horror I have.

“Why don't you take the day off? You need it.” I insisted, knowing it was a lost cause.

“Pshk, no. I want to go.” She insisted, getting up but I made a face that stopped her in her tracks.

“Things need to be done around the house. Why don't you stay home today and clean.” I explained, thinking on my toes. She looked around her blindly, staring at the invisible dust and dirt that I insisted she cleaned up and she just stared at me.

“You're serious?” Clara asked and I nodded, trying to hide the lump in my throat. I needed a break though, I needed one day where I didn't constantly have to watch her and make sure she was okay.

“Yeah. Can you just do this for me?!” I knew that was the wrong thing to say, and that was exactly why I said. I knew if I showed enough hostility towards her she wouldn't feel comfortable tagging along today. I would apologize later on tonight when I got home and explain to her why I did it, and hopefully get her to never participate in another investigation again.
Her face fell immediately, along with my heart. I needed to do it though, as I walked into the bathroom and turned the light on to shower. Another hope was that she would be sleeping when I got out, to make leaving her a little bit easier.

Clara Dolby's Point Of View-

I had pretended to sleep as Spencer got ready for work. I wanted to jump out of his bed and demand that he let me go with him, but instead I sulked like a little child in his bed until he left. I tried to make sense of how mean he was to me earlier but I couldn't and because of that I couldn't focus on my studies. I had finished all the schooling I needed to have a successful job with the BAU, but I was still interested in getting a major in English. Spencer told me I could have as much schooling as I wanted, he didn't have to know that I was planning on paying him back someday.