Book 1 Chapter 9: The Waterbending Scroll and A Pirates Life For Me

Iroh was overjoyed to see her again when they boarded. Zuko sulked off to his chambers while his Uncle challenged her to a game of Pai Sho. They sat in the mess hall, on opposite ends of a table.

As she sat, she realized very suddenly that she couldn't distinguish the pieces from one another. Sarru's set had the images carved out in each tile, and were always soaked with water, allowing her to sense the difference.

Iroh organized his pieces very carefully, and when he noticed her hesitation, said, "My dear, why don't you go get some tea from the kitchen, and I will set up our board."

Grateful for the distraction, she took her time walking into the kitchen. Grabbing the first clean teapot she could find, she rummaged through the cabinets until she found a bag of tea. Smelling it, she determined it was Jasmine, and placed several scoops inside the pot. Collecting water from the tap, she filled the teapot and began to heat it on her way back.

Iroh had set her pieces out in the same order as his, and what appeared to be the same order Sarru always put them in.

"Ah, thank you, dear. Jasmine is my favorite," he chuckled warmly as she sat down.

He placed the pot on a stand, and held one of his hands underneath, a small flame in his palm.

"Your turn first. Your grandmother was a very skilled player, so I am looking forward to your strategies," he said, shifting a piece between his fingers.

Slowly moving her pieces across the board, all she could think of is the pattern Sarru taught her.

Carefully moving tiles across the board, she had to stop and remember what move to do next and where each piece was several times.

As the game progressed, Iroh was more surprised by the minute. He slowly slid his final tile to the center of the board, and leaned back.

The pieces had taken the shape of a small flower.

He scrutinized her for a minute before asking, "Who knocks at the garden gate?"

"One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries," she replied without thinking.

He smiled.

"Your grandmother has taught you well."

She felt a strange feeling rise inside her. Pride.

"Next time I hope we can have a normal game, but it is reassuring to know she valued the Lotus Gambit as much as I do. You should get some rest. Unfortunately the spare room necessitated some repairs, and is still not ready. I am sure my nephew will be very understanding," he said, finishing his cup of tea.

"It was an honor playing with you," she said, bowing. A mischievous smile graced her face, "but I think you will find Sarru's version of the Gambit better, for I seem to have won as well."

He made a second pass at the board. Sure enough, she had made the only two harmonies possible, stealing his with her own lotus tile.

He laughed, and began to intricately study the board.

She walked up the many stairs to the bathroom, where she concealed her scar once again.

Walking into the bedroom, she saw the prince asleep in the corner. Creeping to her cot, she spun more fire between her fingers as she drifted to sleep. A sharp pain suddenly jolted her back to attention. She quietly healed the small burn, cursing her grogginess for causing the small flame to spin out of control.

Turning over, she listened intently to the prince's heart beat, not fully realizing how much she had missed its steady familiarity. It lulled her to sleep.