Book 1 Chapter 16: The Magical Vanishing Deserter

"No."

"Please?"

"I said I won't."

"Oh come on, Prince Zuko, won't you humor our guest?" Iroh asked.

"I am not playing the tsungi horn." he said, crossing his arms.

Iroh sighed, and patted her shoulder. "I tried. Will you be joining us, my dear?"

"Sure, but I can't sing," she said, and Iroh laughed, leading her to the deck.

She sat down around a small fire pit. Lieutenant Jee was playing a pipa while two other sailors played the drums.

The engineer and cook danced together as Iroh sang.

"Winter, spring... Summer, and fall... Winter, spring... Summer, and fall... Four seasons... four loves... Four seasons... for love."

Ash swayed in her seat to the music. A new heartbeat on the dock shocked her back to reality. She raced inside before anyone else noticed.

Barging through the door to Zuko's room, he cut her off before she could speak.

"For the last time, I'm not playing the tsungi horn!" he said as he sulked on the floor next to the door.

"Not the problem. Zhao's on board!" she said, and he jumped to his feet.

Iroh knocked, walking in before Zuko could respond.

"About our plans. There's a bit of an issue," he said as Zhao followed him inside.

"I'm taking your crew," he said, smirking.

"What?!" he said, stepping in front of her to face Zhao.

"I've recruited them for a little expedition to find a traitor. After that, the North Pole," he said, staring the prince down.

"Uncle, is that true?" he asked, and Iroh nodded solemnly.

"I'm afraid so. He's taking everyone... even the cook!" he said, placing his arm over his eyes in woe.

"Sorry you won't be there to watch me capture the Avatar. But I can't have you getting in my way again. I'm sure you'll manage to keep busy given your living arrangements," he said.

Iroh had to stop them both from jumping Zhao. He shot them a warning look as the Commander walked over to one of the walls. The prince's eyes widened, and Ash stiffened.

"I didn't know you were skilled with broadswords, Prince Zuko," he said, swinging the sword around.

"I'm not. They're antiques. Just decorative," he said, and Ash could hear his increased pulse.

"Hm. Have you heard of the Blue Spirit, General Iroh?" he asked, inspecting the blade.

"Just rumors. I don't think he's real," he said, folding his hands in his sleeves.

"He's real, all right. He's a criminal, and an enemy of the Fire Nation," he said, handing the sword to Iroh. "But I have a feeling justice will catch up with him soon. General Iroh, the offer to join my mission still stands... if you change your mind," he said. The door clanged shut behind him.

"We totally could have taken him," Ash said, grumbling.

"Let's go say our goodbyes to the crew," Iroh said, walking out the door.

After helping the crew pack their bags as best she could, they all stood on the dock. Each crew member bowed to her, wishing her luck on her travels. She was surprised at how kind they were. They scarcely knew her! Jazu was brought to gruff tears, and Arlo gave her an awkward hug. The helmsman thanked her for saving the ship, and Jee even shook her hand. Each discreetly promised that her secret was safe with them, and for that she was eternally grateful.