Book 1 Chapter 19: The Siege of the North Part 1, Doing Activities

"Nice try, Pupil Sangok. A couple more years and you might be ready to fight a sea sponge," Pakku said, unfreezing the boy from Katara's wave. Would anyone care for a rematch with Katara? Perhaps you, Ash? I don't want you to hold back this time."

She grinned before bowing to Katara and taking a fighting stance. They slung a singular ball of water between them, each dodging the other.

"I told you not to hold back this time!" Pakku said, forming a block of ice to sit on.

Ash smirked.

Katara gasped as her foot was pulled out from under her, causing her to fall on her rear. Immediately covered in a snowdrift, Pakku had to brush off the extra snow from his shoulder as he stood back up.

"Well done Master Ash," he said before turning to Katara, who was still digging herself out of the snow drift. "Katara, you've advanced more quickly than any student I've ever trained. You have proven that with fierce determination, passion and hard work, you can accomplish anything." Her expression brightened as Ash smiled. Pakku turned to a lounging Aang and frowned. "Raw talent alone is not enough. Pupil Aang!"

Aang, who had been balancing Momo on a ball of air, jerked upright. The lemur fell on his head. "Yes, Master Pakku?"

"Care to step into the sparring circle? I figure since you've found time to play with house pets, you must have already mastered waterbending," he said sarcastically.

"I wouldn't say mastered, but check this out," he said excitedly, bending the surrounding snow to create a snowman of himself. Momo leapt at him, knocking him to the ground.

Master Pakku shook his head dismissively as Katara rolled her eyes.

They finished their exercises and Pakku dismissed the class. Aang was laughing as he rolled around in the snow, and Pakku could scarcely hold his tongue. Momo opened his mouth to catch a snowflake, then unexpectedly spat it back out.

Ash stiffened.

"Master—"

"Uncle," he corrected absentmindedly.

"Master Uncle, what is falling from the sky?" she asked pensively, rubbing a piece of soot that had fallen on her arm.

"We must find Chief Arnook," he said, quickly walking towards the town hall as drums began to sound.

They sat before the Chief as Yue and Pakku found their places behind him.

"The day we have feared for so long has arrived. The Fire Nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness that I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe, but they will never vanish from our hearts. Now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits. Spirit of the Ocean! Spirit of the Moon! Be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission," he said, looking over the sea of soldiers.

"Count me in!" Sokka said, standing up.

"Sokka..." Katara warned, looking concerned for her brother's safety.

"Be warned, many of you will not return. Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task," Arnook said as several other men stood up.

As the Chief painted marks on the foreheads of the volunteers, Ash noticed Yue began to cry as Sokka walked away.

The remaining trio stepped outside as Arnook joined them.

"The stillness before battle is unbearable. Such a quiet dread," he said.