pt.4

Dirt from the ground was kicked up as Xena and Gabrielle were carried through the forest as fast as Argo could go. As they moved Xena looked back to see where their mystery pursuer was. Gabrielle held tightly to Xena as they traveled through the night. They could hear the roars and the rustling of the greenery as the predator behind them that still remained unidentifiable continued it's pursuit. Xena steered them in various directions in an effort to lose the danger that followed them. The sound of snapping branches begin to get louder behind them. Knowing that they had to lose what ever was following them, Xena quickly assessed the situation. She yelled and leaned forward in an effort to gain a little more speed. Xena scanned the area as they rode, trying to find a way to escape. Then she looked to her side and saw something that just might work.

XENA
Hold on tight.

Gabrielle didn't know how she could possibly make her hold around Xena any tighter. But she leaned into Xena's back and braced herself for whatever Xena had planned. They rode straight for a little longer, before out of nowhere Xena tugged on the reigns and caused Argo to make a sharp turn. Then they resumed going straight. Xena looked back again to gage the distance between them and their pursuer. The abrupt turn gave them a little more space, but their predator was still hot on Xena and Gabrielle's trail. Xena looked forward and saw the reason she had turned when she did coming up fast.

XENA
Gabrielle duck.

Gabrielle looked and saw group of interwoven trees with an opening that they appeared to be heading right for. She crouched lower. Xena was ready to have Argo make the jump through the opening when a large log fell just in front of them. The sudden movement paired with everything else startled Argo. Causing her to rear up. The unexpected jolt back made Gabrielle lose her grip on Xena and she was thrown to the ground.

XENA
Gabrielle!

Gabrielle layed on the ground slightly dazed from the sudden fall. As she layed there, on her back, Gabrielle heard the stomping footsteps of what they've been trying to escape. She lifted her head as everything came back into focus. Her green eyes wideed in fear as the large figure got closer. Gabrielle quickly rolled over and began scrambling to get to her feet. Meanwhile Xena had gotten off of Argo and had her chakrum already in her hand. As Gabrielle got up she felt herself get grabbed from behind.

GABRIELLE
Xena!

Gabrielle franticly clawed at the ground as she felt herself being lifted into the air. Xena yelled as she hurled her chakrum at the mystery creature. The projectile hit its mark and the unknown creature dropped Gabrielle, who quickly scurried over to Xena as Xena's chakrum came back.

XENA
Quick Gabrielle climb through there.

Xena motioned to the group of interwoven trees as she took out her sword.

GABRIELLE
Xena.

XENA
I'll be right behind you, now go!

Gabrielle turned and began climbing through the trees, as Xena stood in front of the creature. The mystery hunter laughed.

?
(Condescending tone) Is this where you try and fight back?

XENA
I figured it was about time.

Xena let out her battle cry as she jumped towards the creature holding her sword ready to swing. But the large creature easily swatted her down to the ground. Xena hit hard, but had no time to linger on the blow as she was forced to swiftly roll out of the way of a large foot that was coming down on her. Xena stood back up as she quickly put some space between the creature and herself.

GABRIELLE
Xena come on.

Xena glanced over and noticed that Gabrielle had made it through the trees and was safely on the other side. However the momentary distraction allowed the creature to land a hit on Xena. Gabrielle watched through the opening as Xena was sent crashing into a tree.