pt.6

Xena yelled out, feeling herself being crushed in Typhon's grip. The creature laughed as he squeezed tighter and tighter around Xena. She dropped her sword as she continued to struggle for freedom. It was becoming increasingly difficult for Xena to breathe as she felt as though her very life was being wrung out of her. She slowly stopped flailing her legs as her strength gradually left her. At that point all Xena could do was yell, which was just on instinct. But that too was soon no longer an option when Xena was wrapped so tightly she had to fight just to breathe. Typhon stared down at Xena, enjoying the suffering that he was inflicting. He continued to laugh and squeeze. Xena's eyes felt heavy as her consciousness began to slip away. Her body went completely limp as Xena's vision went black when her eyes closed. Moments later Typhon roared as he looked behind him after feeling a sharp pain. Gabrielle yelled as she yanked Xena's sword out of the mid section of Typhon's snake half, only to quickly drive the blade back into his flesh again. Making the creature roar once more after dropping Xena from his grasp. A stream of blood spilled from the multiple stab wounds as Gabrielle again plugged Xena's sword into Typhon. She yanked it out and was ready to drive it back in when Typhon swung his arm back and knocked Gabrielle away. He looked at both Xena and Gabrielle on the ground. His focus shifted to Gabrielle, furious that she had wounded him. He went to slither towards her, but stopped when he felt the pain from the multitude injuries he had received. Typhon angerly growled.

TYPHON
I'll be back for you later.

He spread out his massive wings and took off into the sky. Gabrielle looked up and watched him disappear into the night. Gabrielle's focused quickly shifted to Xena who was laying on the ground as she rushed to her side.

GABRIELLE
Xena.

Gabrielle knelt down beside her.

GABRIELLE
Xena can you hear me?

Xena groaned as she opened her eyes and saw Gabrielle looking down at her.

XENA
I feel like I just got run over by a stampeding army.

GABRIELLE
Can't you move?

XENA
Think so.

Gabrielle carefully helped Xena sit up.

XENA
Where's Typhon?

GABRIELLE
He flew off after I stabbed him a couple of times.

Xena looked at the blood soaked sword on the ground next to them.

XENA
Nice work.

Xena winced as tried to stand. But just moving one of her arms sent pain shooting through her body. Xena collapsed as she tried to put a little pressure on her arm to get up.

GABRIELLE
Xena.

XENA
I'm alright.

She groaned as she got up to her knees without using her arms. Xena winced as she lifted her arm slightly and put it back down.

XENA
Nothings broken. But I think I have a couple fractures.

Xena picked up her sword with her good arm and stuck the blade in the ground as she used it help her stand. Once she was up, Xena returned her sword to it's sheath. Gabrielle stood up as she looked up at where Typhon had flown off.

GABRIELLE
So what now?

XENA
We keep going until he comes back for round two.

GABRIELLE
And what then? You're already hurt.

XENA
Yeah but so is he. Plus luckily it's not my sword arm that's injured. I'm a little sore but it's nothing I'm not used to.

Xena rotated her shoulders trying to relieve some of the minor pain that still lingered from nearly being crushed to death.

GABRIELLE
You're way to casual about this sort of thing.

XENA
Comes with the territory.

Xena and Gabrielle walked off continuing through the forest. Eventually they found a small waterfall that had an opening behind it. They walked along the small ledge by the rocks and went inside to try to regroup before their next encounter with Typhon.  Which they were certain would be inevitable before the nights end. Once inside they sat on the cave floor. It wasn't nearly as dark as the last cave due to the moonlight that reflected off of the waters surface, illuminating the cave in a soft glow. So they didn't have any problems seeing. Though the cool night air combined with the dampness of the caves interior made the air fairly cold inside. Gabrielle shivered a little as they found a spot to sit for a bit.

GABRIELLE
Hey can we get a fire going? It's kinda cold in here.

Xena leaned up against the cave wall.

XENA
That's probably not a good idea. We don't need Typhon seeing the light.

GABRIELLE
Good point.

Gabrielle tried to fight off another shiver but failed.

XENA
Come over here.

Xena patted the ground next to her. Gabrielle scooted over next to Xena. Xena then put her arms around Gabrielle and held her close as they sat there.

XENA
This should help a little.

GABRIELLE
It does.

Gabrielle layed her head on Xena's shoulder as they quietly sat there for a bit. Xena kept watch on the cave entrance for any sign of their predator.

GABRIELLE
Xena?

XENA
Hmm?

GABRIELLE
What are we gonna do when Typhon does come back after us?

XENA
I don't know. He’s alot stronger than I thought he'd be. But we do know that we can hurt him. And that's something. Though now I'm sure Typhon will be more dangerous because of that.

GABRIELLE
Because he'll be mad and want vengeance on us for injuring him.

XENA
Exactly.

GABRIELLE
Maybe we can use that anger against him.

XENA
No, no he's too smart for that.

Xena paused as she thought of something.

XENA
But I think you're on the right track here.

Gabrielle looked up at Xena.

GABRIELLE
What do you mean?

XENA
I think we can use another major flaw of Typhon's to beat him.

GABRIELLE
You lost me.

XENA
The game.

GABRIELLE
What?

XENA
Typhon clearly wants to use this as his own personal entertainment. So I say we give him exactly what he wants and make things more interesting for him.

Gabrielle pulled out of Xena's arms  and looked at her wondering what she was up to. Xena thought for a moment, then Gabrielle had to ask her what she was thinking about.

GABRIELLE
I'm listening.

XENA
I'm gonna make a bet with that monster. One that I know he won't turn down.

TO BE CONTINUED...