pt.9

Fallen leafs crunched and twigs snapped under foot as Xena and Gabrielle ran through the forest from Typhon who flapped his massive wings as he flew weaving between the trees in hot pursuit of the pair. As they ran Gabrielle looked back, seeing Typhon closing in.

GABRIELLE
He's gonna catch us Xena!

Xena looked around for anything that could help them escape. She spotted something that might help put a little more distance between them and Typhon.

XENA
This way.

Gabrielle followed Xena as they both raced up a small hill. Once they reached the top they quickly stopped as they saw a gap between them and their chance of escape. With no time to find a way around, Xena quickly looked back to see Typhon continuing to get closer.

XENA
we need to jump.

Xena backed up a bit, got a running start and lept over the gap. Landing safely on the other side. She turned around and waited for Gabrielle.

XENA
Okay come on.

Gabrielle did the same as Xena as she backed up a bit to get a running start. Once she thought she was far enough back, Gabrielle ran as fast as could and jumped. Unfortunately she wasn't able to cover the same distance and came up short on her jump. As she missed her landing Gabrielle just managed to grab on to the ledge. Xena quickly reached down to pull her up. But as Gabrielle let go with one hand to reach for Xena, the dirt on the ledge that she was holding gave way. Before Xena could catch her, Gabrielle fell down the embankment.

XENA
Gabrielle!

Gabrielle landed on the ground below. She quickly looked up when she heard Typhon roar. Her eyes went wide as she saw Typhon jump down and begin coming straight at her. She got up and continued running along the embankment. Xena followed up on the other side. Keeping a close eye on Gabrielle. As she ran Xena took out her chakrum and threw it at Typhon, trying to shift his attention to her. It hit and cut his arm. Typhon didn't stop as he looked at his arm. He flew up and got behind Xena. Right as he did, Xena jumped, slid down the side of the embankment and kept going as she caught up with Gabrielle.

TYPHON
(Growling) You think you're real clever.

Typhon flew back down and followed Xena and Gabrielle as they ran through the long trench. The monster was relentless in his pursuit.as he chased after them. After a long stretch the trench opened up. Although that fact didn't help Xena and Gabrielle when they ran into a dead end.

GABRIELLE
No now what?

Xena looked behind them seeing Typhon still on their heels. She looked in front of them looking for a way out. It took a moment bet she found one.

XENA
This way.

Xena ran over to the side and held on to a large tree root that was coming down from a tree that sat in the ground above. Gabrielle followed. As Gabrielle ran Xena saw Typhon right behind her.

XENA
Look out!

Gabrielle looked back seeing Typhon practically on top of her.

XENA
Duck now!

Gabrielle did just that as Xena threw her chakrum at Typhon again. This time he slowed down moved out of the way. Allowing Gabrielle to make it to where Xena stood.

XENA
Climb.

Xena and Gabrielle hastily scaled the big root up out of the ditch. They just managed to slip through the arch of the root to the upper level of ground when Typhon reached through and grabbed Xena's leg, pulling her to the ground.

TYPHON
Your mine now.

Gabrielle saw Xena fall and looked back seeing that Typhon had a hold of her.

GABRIELLE
Let her go!

Gabrielle rushed over and using her staff, cracked him hard in the side his head. Leaving him stunned for a second, Typhon released Xena as he shook off the pain. Xena got back up as she and Gabrielle went back to running. After a moment Typhon shook out the mental cobwebs that the hit caused and followed. As the pursuit went on Gabrielle and Xena stopped dead in their tracks as they encountered yet another obstacle in standing their way. This time in the form of another ledge. But this one didn't have anything across from it. Instead it just had a very steep hill that went nearly straight down. And this went much further down then the previous one. But without any other options they had no choice but to try and climb down. As they were about to start making their desent Typhon again caught up with them. He changed right at them. Xena quickly put herself in front of Gabrielle as she drew her sword. Typhon came in swinging. Knocking into Xena, who was sent back. She crashed into Gabrielle and the two went over the side of the ledge and were sent head over heels down the rocky incline to the ground below. After landing hard, Xena slowly looked up. Blood began running down the side of her face from her hitting her head on the way down.

XENA
Gabrielle.

Xena looked next to her seeing Gabrielle slowly start to move. The two made it to their feet. Both bleeding from getting scrapped up during the fall. Hearing Typhon's roar, Xena and Gabrielle looked up. There they saw the monster standing on top of the ledge looking down at them.

TYPHON
It looks like this is the end of the line.

Xena looked around and realized that they were now surrounded by cliffs. All of them too steep to climb fast enough for them to escape. With Typhon bearing down on them, It seemed that Xena and Gabrielle finally had no place left to run.

TO BE CONTINUED...