Chapter 2: Damian

As he reached for his apartment door, he saw his trail of footmarks patched with blood that he had left behind. But usually, no one noticed such uncertainties as everyone in this building had something going on in their life that they all tried to hide. This world was where everyone had a place to go to, a place they could call home. Unlocking the door to his apartment with his keys, he entered the shabby place he lived in.

Taking off his blood-soaked robe, he tossed it in a corner and advanced towards his bathroom. Washing his face in his bathroom sink, he looked up to face his reflection in the mirror. He glared into his own eyes and whispered, "Ah! Damian, look at you, still as ugly as ever, ugly for what you are, ugly for what you do, and ugly for what you've done." He looked away from the mirror as he got ready to shower. He wanted to cool off because a lot was going on for him. And, of course, because of the mess he just returned from. He took off his shirt and his tank top underneath. All that was revealed was ripped muscle top to bottom with only one flaw - scars. They were marked all over his body, but the bullet wounds were the only type of scar missing.

From childhood, he had been trained in combat, especially against an enemy with a gun. He was the only swordsman in the present times where sharpshooters, agents, and veterans held dominance in battle. But he was a skilled man and was known to be at the top of the list regarding being 'dangerous' as he was not just an ordinary swordsman. His viciousness and brutality named him The Medieval.

From the start of his career, he had never failed his target. He was a pin-point assassin who made no mistake. He was a man of no stealth but he never left any witnesses behind. He moved on to one motto which was There is no witness when there is no one to witness. After taking a cold shower he slipped on a black sweatshirt with a leather jacket on top, he wore custom-fitted denim jeans underneath with black flat-top sneakers. He put on a black cap on top to depart for a walk. 

As he walked out through the front door, he crossed paths with the building janitor. He told the janitor, "Take care of the room for me. Payment is in the top drawer of my bedside table." The janitor replied, "All I have ever cleaned in your damn apartment is blood."Damian says, "Nah! This time it's the laundry as well." The janitor sighed exhaustingly and advanced toward his room. Damian leaves through the front of the building and walks down the pavement. As he walked, his pocket vibrated where the phone was. He pulled out his phone and answered the call, "It's you again."The caller asked, "Did you finish the job?". Damian answered, "Is that all you care about?". The caller replied, "Answer the question first." He responded, "Yeah it's done, ended up killing a kid but leaving no witnesses behind." The caller replies cheerfully, "Perfect, your payment awaits you at the Butcher shop." The caller ends the call and Damian slips the phone back into his pocket.

He came to a halt as he watched the phone booth in front of him. "It's good to be back", he whispered to himself. He enters the phone booth, takes out a penny from his pocket, and slips into the slot. He picks up the phone and held the digit 1 on the keypad. A robotic voice answered the phone and said, "What did the wolf say to little red riding hood". He replied, "The sheep never howls." As he said these words, the floor started to tremble as the tile beneath him started to slowly descend.

 In this world, everyone supported the good and believed that evil should cease to exist so they did everything to eliminate people who committed a crime as small as pickpocketing. Due to such atrocities, some people believed that good and evil both existed in society to balance out each other. So they built a community providing shelter to people who were convicted of such crimes. At first, it was just a hope of survival for the many who struggled to continue but then it grew to become a whole new world that existed beneath the high society that considered eliminating such people.

Damian placed the phone back into the holder. As he went below ground level, the ground above him was covered with yet another tile. As he descended, a view started to come into view in front of him. He hit the bottom as a man dressed in white from top to bottom that was waiting for him greeted him and said delightfully, "Well look at you, as handsome as ever!". Damian sighed annoyingly as the man continued, "Ah, you are the same despite how much time has passed, anyways welcome back to The Underworld".