Chapter 3: Home

As Damian started to walk into the place they called The Underworld, he could see familiar faces. It was a whole city built underground. The roof of this massive cave was covered with floodlights like stars in the sky, children playing in the streets, street vendors selling their worth of street food, and people enjoying their beers in the tavern. It was a life within the shadows of the dark nightmare called The High Society. It was a place where Damian was embraced when the high society abandoned him. Where he had been fed, taught, trained, and where he had grown. No matter how dull or erroneous that place was, it was still a place Damian considered Home.

Damian slowly walked towards the door to the tavern and opened it. Suddenly, the whole bar went silent, looking toward Damian. Damian clicked his tongue as he took his eyes off everyone staring at him when the tavern started to continue with its havoc. Damian sat down at the counter where the bartender came forward to tend to him, "Hey Damian, long time no see. What can I get for you?".He was a big and muscular man wearing a tight-fitted tucked-in white dress shirt strapped with a brown leather gallace and navy blue check-styled dress pants underneath. He was wearing light brown silver-belted bit loafers. He had a broad face with a blonde beard and long blonde hair tied up in a ponytail. "Wow! you forgot I'm still a minor, and why do you have to name your bar The Butcher Shop," exclaimed Damian. "Well, quite a curious question for a guy who didn't care the last time I met him. But I'll answer you anyway. I was once also a mercenary trained to eliminate the roots of the higher society. I was a weapon of war that killed dozens of people. Hence, I was named The Butcher of  The Streets. So, I anointed this shop after it to help me remember who I was and what I have become."

Damian was amazed that the shop Selvon ran had a whole backstory. Despite the years he had spent in this place, there were still many things he had never known about. "So, where's my cut?" asked Damian. After hearing Damian's request, Selvon pulled out a black leather suitcase from underneath. Damian unlocked it to reveal stacks of bucks stuffed inside. "Well, guess I caught a big fish this time. So what's the next job?" inquired Damian. "To be very honest with you, you won't like it," replied Selvon. "Yeah right, as if I loved it for all these years you've given me dirty work," said Damian annoyingly. Selvon chuckled and replied, "Well uh, it's about you going to high school."

There was an awkward silence between the two when Damian broke the tension while yelling, "WHATTTT???? DO I LOOK DUMB TO YOU? WHY DO I NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL? MIGHT JUST DESTROY THE WHOLE DAMN PLACE!!!". "Well that much was expected, the goal is not to educate you but to let you blend into the 'High Society'. You are the only one of us who has never been caught. This means that you're clean from criminal records. You are the perfect pick if we want to infiltrate the High Society from the inside. It is our time to make the move, so we are gonna advance our best piece. Yes, you are the best piece that we have."

Though Damian was shocked at the proposal Selvon had just proposed to him. He had no choice but to accept it. He had been raised in this place and it was time he had to pay something back to it. "So, what's the plan?" asked Damian. Selvon smirked and replied, "Well, first off we need to get you a new identity. Then we go shopping, you will be having a normal life for quite some time. The money I just gave you, try to use it wisely."Damian gave Selvon an awkward glance and said, "Okay, okay, I've heard enough. Better get to the plan as soon as possible, I'll probably be back in a few months. See you then!". Selvon replies, "Ok good, but before you leave, let's give it a toast to your first-ever school life. I'll get a glass of juice ready for you." Selvon brewed up a glass of grape juice for Selvon as he poured a shot of whiskey for himself. 

"Everyone! listen up." called out Selvon to the people in the bar. Suddenly, the whole bar went quiet and everyone turned obediently facing towards Selvon. "Cheers to Damian entering school life!", yelled Selvon to the crowd. Everyone roared cheerfully in agreement and clanged their glasses. Their laughter and chatter echoed against the walls of the bar. Damian smiled as he could feel the homely feeling from all of them. But now it was time to leave again, he stood up from his stool, grabbed the briefcase, and walked out of the bar without turning back.

To keep the smiles on the faces of those people, Damian knew he had to keep fighting out into that deep dark world. It was all for their sake. Once they could win this war, then he too could live in peace. He left The Underworld using the same tollbooth and returned once more to the dark and gloomy street he once came from. He walked to his apartment and climbed the stairs to the 2nd floor. 

He walked towards his apartment door and stood in front of it when he felt his pocket vibrating again. He picked up his phone to hear Selvon's voice again, "Hi, I forgot to tell you some things at the bar. From now on, the janitor will be helping you with your identity and everything related to your school. Actually, Underworld has been located by High Society. They will attack tonight, they have the 12 crescents with them so we don't stand a chance against them. So I guess, this is the last night for me and the Underworld society. The school I told you to go to is not a mission. I just wanted you to live a normal life like any other kid out there. I'm sorry to make you go through such a tough and ugly life all these years. But I only wanted to tell you for the last time that you were always like a son to me, and no matter how shitty my life was, you were the most beautiful moment in it. I hope you live the life you always deserved. From me and all the people of the Underworld who loved you, goodbye!"

---BEEP---